My Tahoe Being Painted - Pics Inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
Wow man, just ran across this thread and looks like you're getting pretty anxious to get the Tahoe back :D

6 months and counting is a long time to wait. I hope everything is worth it in the end. You still paying the $4K or has that gone up? All I gotta say is, good thing you're not paying hourly :lol:

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, no hourly rates here...haha. It was about $3K for the work and about another $1100 for the primer, sealer, paint and clear materials. I had to pay a little more because I had him buy some ceramiclear to put on my bumper, running boards, grill and hood.
The HD hood came in yesterday. I haven't had a chance to look at it, but I'm pretty pumped about that. It only ended up costing me $90 for the hood, since he only made me pay the difference in price from a stock hood. I'm gonna try and swing by there on Saturday so I can take some pics. I'll try to post them up ASAP.

91RS

Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen one of these trucks with peeling paint before. I don't much care for the bumper cap that goes over the stock bumper, that seems pretty shoddy if you ask me but hopefully it'll still look good for you. That really sucks about the extra body damage, it's amazing people who do work like that are able to stay in business.

Where did the HD hood come from? I saw that recently and that looked fantastic.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Man, I figured you'd have your truck back by now. Still driving the 89 around town, huh? Patience is key; looks like he's taking care of you with the extra free labor at least. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm still rolling the '89 around. It's not use to getting this much use. I think it's getting tired...haha!

The picture of the bumper was just a test fit without anything being done to it. I was a little worried myself, but I've seen many with this bumper and it comes out looking really good. The hood came off a wrecked '02 HD truck. I think the more aggresive look of these hoods add a little something to the Tahoe's. Especially with the SS bumper, it's going to have a bold look to it.

I took pictures of it on Saturday, but haven't had a chance to upload them yet. The roof and all of the jams are done. The doors have also been mounted and adjusted, so paint should be going on the rest of it this week. Hopefully I'll get the pics posted later on today.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of what is done so far. Keep in mind that it's really dirty and that it hasn't been buffed out yet. I didn't get pics of the entire thing because there was no paint yet on Saturday. Since the hood was from a wrecking yard, he was giving it a once over to make sure it was completely straight and that there were no imperfections. Everything else is getting paint this week, with buffing and reassembly to follow. Reassembly could take a while if you look at the pics...haha.

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! That really makes me excited to see the whole thing with roof rack delete and the HD hood (that's a HD hood, right?)

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an HD hood. It was a late addition to the party that I hadn't planned on doing. There were a few bad spots on my original hood and he said it was going to cost him more time and money than it was worth to fix it, so he offered to get me a new one. Made a deal with him that I'd pay the difference to get an HD hood.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when will the finished pics be up? I have been watching this thread forever waitin

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully in a few weeks. Like I said before, the rest of it should be painted this week and then the finishing work and assembly is on. If I saw this thing without knowing what was going on with it, I would swear it belonged in a wrecking yard. As you can see from the photo from the rear, it's in a million pieces. Everything you're seeing back there goes back on somewhere.
BTW, does anyone know the part number for the strips that go in the channels on the roof that extend from the rear doors, back to the barn doors/hatch? They were destroyed during removal and I need new ones.