My Tahoe Keeps Shutting Off On Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwould

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.3 with roughly 104,000 miles on it. It has been cutting off on me when I am going slow or if I make turns some time. I went to a mechanic and he said I needed the 100k mile tune. I then had them tune it up but it is still shutting off and the shop is clueless as to why.

Any idea what is causing my truck to cut off and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance.

Hightower

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem, and it started after I installed my K&N intake. All I did was buy some throttle body cleaner from the parts dept (you can use any, but I've had the best results from their kind...little more expensive though). Every couple months, or whenever I notice the RPMs start dipping, I give it a good cleaning. The dealership was probably full of bs. If you have an intake, this is probably your problem.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it turns out that they didn't clean your TB I'd go back to that shop and request your money back.

hwould

Reaction score
I will look into that. I'm embarrassed to ask this, but how exactly do I find the throttle body? It is computer controlled so is there any kind of precautions I should take?

Hightower

Reaction score
You just find where your air intake (box) is in the front left corner (as you're looking into the engine bay) and follow the intake to where it meets the engine. Should be right in front of the fan. I have a K&N, so I don't know how the original connects, but just disconnect the tube from where it connects to the front of the engine. You should a little circular valve that pivots at the middle. You can push it open and closed with your finger. So with the car off, take the cleaner spray and spray it all around the valve then use your finger to hold it open while you spray all inside. The cleaner should double as a lubricant for the valve there. Once you've got it all good and soaked, let it sit for a few, put it all back together and start it up. It'll sputter initially, but it's all good. Should be good as new after that. The instructions are all on the can if you need. Hope this helps. It makes driving enjoyable again, knowing it's not going to shut off on you.

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just fixed this problem on my 196k mile 01 tahoe, dirty throttle body. ther are 3 nuts that bolt it to the intake manifold, and are 10mm. Once the air intake tubing is out of the way you can remove the throttle body by removing these 3 nuts, pull it off of the studs, but leave the 2 bottom rubber lines connected. these are EGR coolant lines and will spew antifreeze everywhere if you take them off. The vacuum line up top can be removed, as well as teh electrical connectors. Lay some towels underneath, goto walmart and get a couple cans of the supertech carb cleaner (1.19 a can) and hose that bitch down!. spray it and rub all the black **** off with your fingers. there are a couple holes in it you want to spray out, which would be the idle air bypass system. prop the throttle body open with your fingers while spray, spray it inside and out. ITs very easy but....no offense, it doesnt sound like you are very mechanically inclined at all, so you may ask some friends who actually are, to help you. Literally the only tools you need are a 10mm socket, and a flathead screwdriver to remove the intake tubing.

My truck runs like new, no more low idle when backing up, no more dying when turning around, etc.

hwould

Reaction score
I apologize for not updating this post. It turns out that they did not clean the throttle body. I cleaned it myself and it worked like the day I bought it! I am so grateful to you guys on here who helped me out. I had two diagnostics, and a bunch of worthless opinions which would have cost me a ton of money, but the good people on tahoeforum saved the day!

Gomez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem... didn't know what it was then I got my tb cleaned and haven't had any problems since

970tahoe

Reaction score
I have a '99 LT, and I had a problem with it not starting, and then shutting off at low speed. Turns out it was the fuel pump, look into it....

chevyluver31

Reaction score
OK. I bought a 2000 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.3 vortex
I was having all kinds of issues. Thankfully I found this site an it has helped me a lot.
But I am still having issues with it shutting off on me when I slow down or go to take a slow turn like turning into a parking lot...
I have replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, idler pulley, tensioner puller, serpentine belt, I took the throttle body off an cleaned it real good, it was filthy. I had the EGR tubes replaced . The transmission replaced. And this mornin . May 28 2015 . I replaced the IAC. Idle air controller..
After I replaced the IAC which cost $115.00 it started making a knocking/ticking noise. Well the noise stopped after driving about 30 minutes or soo but I'm still running into the issue where it shuts off on me an the rpm's drop real low when I hit the brakes to slow down.. I adjusted the throttle cable to help compinsate that but it still shuts off sometimes. It always starts right back up tho. Does anyone have any idea what it could be????
Thanks

Boogrr537

Reaction score
I have the same issue with a 2007 chevy tahoe it drives fine for a while as long as i keep it under 50 i can drive anywhere with out a problem but if i drive it on the freeway and then come to an idle it will shut off i cleaned out the throttle body i connected my scanner and i dont have a MAF reading