Navigation Secret Keypad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highland Ranger

Reaction score
silly question - did anyone try 001791? Mixed reviews on the coastaltech device leave me uncomfortable.

waiting on my ltz . . . . . hopefully I'll be trying it myself soon.

Last edited:

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm officially done with this thread, the main reason I wanted to bypass all of the security features was because of the damn OK screen coming up every time I use the car. I just got my nav replaced (cd drive wouldn't load) and they gave me a brand new one, and it hasn't made me hit ok yet (although it probably will every 50 uses or so).

That said, I did find something very interesting before I had to get it replaced (they had nothing to do with each other, it was a mechanical problem and chewed the cd up, literally). For those of you that can use the 9448 code, theres a menu called "Debug" and I think THINK that you would be able to manually change values to potentially override/bypass any triggers for security features. I didn't have a chance to try it out but it the results could be very good.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm officially done with this thread, the main reason I wanted to bypass all of the security features was because of the damn OK screen coming up every time I use the car. I just got my nav replaced (cd drive wouldn't load) and they gave me a brand new one, and it hasn't made me hit ok yet (although it probably will every 50 uses or so).

That said, I did find something very interesting before I had to get it replaced (they had nothing to do with each other, it was a mechanical problem and chewed the cd up, literally). For those of you that can use the 9448 code, theres a menu called "Debug" and I think THINK that you would be able to manually change values to potentially override/bypass any triggers for security features. I didn't have a chance to try it out but it the results could be very good.

cool..will try it out. I think there is a software upgrade in your new unit. I found out that many of the dealer techs/mechanics don't know a whole lot. They receive updates every now and then from the factory about changes or "how to fix xxxx".

thanks

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the garage filled with black vehicles :]
I read this and tried it on my hoe. I got frustrated with 660, it eventually left the menu but my car still wouldn't shut off!
Mom won't let me try it on her ESV, she's so paranoid it'll mess up [she hates going to the dealer].
BUT this is an interesting find, I hope you guys come up with solutions to the annoyances of these navigation systems...like that stupid caution screen.

jaycough

Reaction score
(note. some info didn't cut and paste, so if someone can tell me how to attach a file, i will do that)

look at below TSB...it talks about new software update to unlock certain features when driving. Mine is early 2007 ESV and I am waiting for my free upgrade disk to see if if updates radio with new features. Right now my radio does not have updated software. Any way take a look and hope it helps.

also here is a tsb (technical service bulletin) that may help.
2006-2009 Buick Lucerne
2008-2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2009 Chevrolet Equinox
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2008-2009 GMC Acadia
2007-2009 Pontiac Torrent
2008-2009 Saturn OUTLOOK, VUE
with Navigation Radio (RPOs U3R, UZR, U3U, UVB)

Attention: This bulletin applies to vehicles sold in the U.S. and Canada only.

Condition

Some customers may comment of any of the following conditions:
• The Navigation Radio display intermittently goes blank or turns black/off after switching video sources. This most commonly occurs when the shift lever is transitioned from PARK to REVERSE to DRIVE (or vice versa). Other possibilities include switching to DVD movie or Rear AUX (if equipped).
• The Navigation Radio screen may intermittently freeze, lock up or display "MAP DVD Read Error" messages.
• Some features may not be accessible while driving. This includes scrolling lists, address book and navigation related entries (i.e. entering a destination).
• The Navigation Radio, upon startup, will continue to display the vehicle logo repeatedly. This condition occurs when the vehicle language has been changed, using the Driver Information Center (DIC), in the previous ignition cycle.

Cause

These conditions may be caused by software anomalies.

Correction

Do This Don't Do This
Update the Navigation Radio software. Do not replace the Navigation Radio.
Technicians are to update the Navigation Radio software using a software update disc, P/N 20774148. The software update disc is to be obtained from the GM Navigation Disc Center, using the contact information below. Follow one of the two procedures below as appropriate for the vehicle you are working on.
Navigation Radio Software Update For Cadillac Escalade Models
Important: For the condition regarding features not accessible while driving, this will only be addressed in 2007 and 2008 model year Cadillac Escalade vehicles.
1. Start the engine, with the gear shift in PARK, wait until the audio or navigation screen is displayed after the opening screen (you may have to press the OK button on the Caution screen.

View Full Image

View Full Image

4. Proceed to the FM audio screen and confirm the current navigation software version by pressing the CONFIG and SEEK UP buttons (1) simultaneously. If the screen switches, select FM to display the software version. Performing this operation may take a couple of attempts for the radio to detect the simultaneous button press. Refer to the illustration above which shows the two buttons that need to be pressed. The navigation software version is the first four characters, reading from the left, located in the middle of the screen.
5. If the navigation software version is 101B or 100M, the radio has the latest navigation software available and no update is necessary. Refer to the Diagnostic Starting Point-Cellular, Entertainment, and Navigation procedure to begin the diagnosis of the customer concern. For all other navigation software versions proceed to step four to continue the software update.
Important: Do not turn off the power or remove the update disc while the software update is in progress.
6. Eject the map disc from the top map DVD slot, callout (2) in the illustration above, if present. Load the software update disc, P/N 20774148, into the top map DVD slot.
7. The display will show "Update in Progress" and upon successful software upgrade, the screen will transition to a blue screen with "The disc installed is not a MAP DVD" displayed on the screen. It will take approximately five minutes to load the new software. Eject the software update disc from the top map DVD slot and retain by your dealership.
8. Confirm that the new navigation software version is either 101B or 100M using the procedure in step two above.
9. Install the customer's original map disc, if it was present. If the customer concern was related to limitations while driving, confirm that the "Limit Features While Driving" feature is turned off by pressing the CONFIG button followed by the Radio tab and "Limit Features While Driving" tab. "Limit Features While Driving" should be unselected to match the customer's preference.
10. Verify proper operation of the Navigation Radio.
Navigation Radio Software Update For All Other Vehicles
1. Start the engine, with the gear shift in PARK, wait until the audio or navigation screen is displayed after the opening screen (you may have the press the OK button on the Caution screen).

View Full Image

View Full Image

4. Proceed to the FM audio screen and confirm the current navigation software version by pressing the MENU and SEEK UP (1) buttons simultaneously. If the screen switches, select FM to display the software version. Performing this operation may take a couple of attempts for the radio to detect the simultaneous button press. Refer to the illustration above, which shows the two buttons that need to be pressed. The navigation software version is the first four characters, reading from the left, located in the middle of the screen.
5. If the navigation software version is 101B or 100F, the radio has the latest navigation software available and no update is necessary. Refer to the Diagnostic Starting Point-Cellular, Entertainment, and Navigation procedure to begin the diagnosis of the customer concern. For all other navigation software versions proceed to step four to continue the software update.
Important: Do not turn off the power or remove the update disc while the software update is in progress.

View Full Image

View Full Image

6. Open the front display by pressing and holding the EJECT (1) button for approximately 15 seconds. Eject the map disc from the revealed map DVD slot by pressing the EJECT (2) button located beneath the revealed map DVD slot. Load the software update disc, P/N 20774148, in map drive (3).
7. Close the front display by using both hands at the four corners of the display until the display fits securely into the radio. Do not push on the touch screen to close. The display will show "Update in Progress" and upon successful software update, the screen will transition to a blue screen with "The disc installed is not a MAP DVD" displayed on the screen. It will take approximately five minutes to load the new software.
8. Open the front display by pressing and holding the EJECT button for approximately 15 seconds. Eject the software update disc and install the original map disc, if it was present. Retain the software disc by your dealership for future vehicles. Close the front display using both hands at the four corners of the display until the display fits securely into the radio. Do not push on the touch screen to close.
9. Confirm that the new navigation software version is either 100F or 101B using the procedure in step two above.

Attachments

• radio issues.word2003.doc
    388 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go get a photobucket account and upload the pictures to your account, then using photobukcet copy the links that start with into the post they would be very helpful

i tried holding menu and seek forward and all i get is a beep...but it is interesting in that it confirms that the map discs hold the new versions of the software which i still think is STDVCE.kwi

i googled stdvce.kwi and found this...someone with more computer knowledge might know what this guy was trying to do (translated from japanese [url]http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://mimori.org/~h/diary/d200205.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstdvce.kwi%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DIvT%26sa%3DN0[/url]

khalilio

Reaction score
This is great! I have been monitoring many sites for progress on this issue and it seemed it was getting to a dead end. Now that the information is flowing again, it seems that there is a good chance that we could unlock the full potential of something we paid for.

By the way, I have tried the secret screen trick and it worked on my Yukon Denali '08 (Just the 295660 and the 660).
The second part regarding the NAVI software version, I could not get the version of my NAVI software by following the above illustrated method. Can anyone confirm that this works on Denali '08?

Keep up the good work.

jaycough

Reaction score
i got it to work on escalade which is way different, and also on a tahoe..both 2007. I am going to dealer on moday and will software to list. My vehicle is an escalade,,will let everyone know what it does for me.

slant911

Reaction score
Yep my new 2009 NAV disk has been on backorder for a month. SOmeday it will show up.

jaycough

Reaction score
heard from guy who got new disc, that radio features did not change with new disc. I am going to my dealer on monday to get it updated and other little things. I will update, but mine is an escalade

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to hit MENU and SEEK but had no luck getting it to work. Seems I could not hit the buttons at the same time.

khalilio

Reaction score
I tried to hit MENU and SEEK but had no luck getting it to work. Seems I could not hit the buttons at the same time.

I'm not sure this actually works on Yukon or Yukon Denali, I've tried the (Menu+Seek Up) buttons on both cars but no joy! I'll keep trying for its worth it.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this actually works on Yukon or Yukon Denali, I've tried the (Menu+Seek Up) buttons on both cars but no joy! I'll keep trying for its worth it.

ya. I only tried it because of the instructions and photo on the link above. They showed a pic of what looks exactly like the radio in the Denali.