Need advice on adding a Pioneer DEH-6000UB HU...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cotily03

Reaction score
I have a Pioneer DEH-6000UB sitting around and thinking about putting it in my 06 tahoe. I recently installed a amp/sub to OEM stereo with "ok" results. I know if I use the GMOS-04 I can retain on-star, chimes, etc. But what will I lose? Rear control? Steering wheel control?
Also, can I keep stock speakers and run the Pioneer HU? I read about ohms here and ohms there and want to make sure the HU can handle since I have only used 4 ohm speakers so far with it.

Perfect setup in my mind would have my Pioneer HU with a pair of POLK 6 1/2" in the front door (that I have lying around), my amp/sub combo, and stock speakers everywhere else for right now... I love being able to hook my ipod up to the Pioneer HU but don't really want to lose steering wheel controls nor rear audio...

Thanks in advance for the help...

cotily03

Reaction score
I really thought this would be a popular question as much knowledge as there is here, but it may still be early for people to be on here... I will be patient...

Slyonic

Reaction score
I placed the same deck into my Tahoe but I didn't have the Bose system or the OnStar so my setup would be different. If it's anything like the Impala I had, you may need to relocate the stock stereo to keep the door chimes and OnStar functionality.

Though my factory amp is different, I did hook up the stereo to the factory amp and all 7 (9) speakers work like normal.

cotily03

Reaction score
I really don't mind the stock Bose speakers except for the sub which, by looking over these forums, is a common occurance. I just would like to replace HU with the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB (or eyeing the AVH-P4000DVD) and add my amp and sub for a well rounded sound.
Also, if I plus the pioneer into the stock harness the sound will pass through the amp then to speakers, or is the amp just for the 6" stock sub?

Just want a little reassurance that this can be done. I know I'll need one adapter if I want to retain onstar and chimes and another adapter if I want steering wheel controls. Don't really care about onstar but I'm thinking chimes maybe important.
Comments, por favor???

Slyonic

Reaction score
My Tahoe doesn't have the Bose amp but in my case, my HU is going through the factory amp to get to the other speakers. I also have an external amp attached to the Pioneer HU. I attached a wire harness to the Pioneer HU to connect to the factory wire harness that normally plugs directly into the factory stereo. In my Tahoe, the factory amp sends signal to all 7 (9) speakers.

Then again, I'm not sure what was changed from my 2000 to your 2006. For example, my stock sub is in the cargo area, driver side quarter panel.

Sorry I'm not more help than that.

MURFS_HOE

Reaction score
OK yes you will lose Rear control and Steering wheel control but you can go here to see what SWC you need http://www.pac-audio.com/ Best Buy has the pioneer ones instock as far as rear controls why? unless you use them. Your stock speaker will be fine but if your going to replace your fronts there 6 1/2 components so I would go back with that

cotily03

Reaction score
Been researching on crutchfield and according to them if I add the 6000ub I will have to cut out the rear bracket to make room for the stereo. This is a huge negative to me. Anybody have any experiance with this. Making me lean more towards the touchscreen 4000dvd.

MURFS_HOE

Reaction score
Why in the hell would tell you that? if anything you would maybe have to cut if you did the DD 4000dvd and thats if you add a bunch of stuff

cotily03

Reaction score
It's not a height thing, it's a length thing... the 6000ub is a little deeper than the 4000dvd...