Need help with trans issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98HOE2DR

Reaction score
1998 2 door 4wd. AUTO 148K miles.

floored it to merge, trans got to the top of a gear and popped. I immediately let off the gas and coasted to a stop, no smoke, no fluids, no overheating. now it shifts weird, but it still shifts, when I let off the gas at speed it seems to go into neutral, as the rpms drop to a complete idle, then when i push the gas a bit it revs for a second then finds a gear and goes. Oh and it doesnt have reverse anymore. Do you guys think I need a new trans or just a torque converter?

more info... the truck never died, I coasted to a turn lane, then did a u turn and drove hom, it shifted, but they were sloppy shifts like it was searching for each gear before finding it... No overdrive. I t has 1st though. I know because I live on a super steep hill and it always kicks to 1st when I drive up it slow. I got it home and pulled in the driveway... then the other day I started it up and went to back it out of the driveway. No reverse. Free revs like neutral. nothing happens at all when I shift from park to Reverse to neutral. No noises, no clunk, no movement. I put it down in drive and i can feel it shift into gear. I let off the break and it moves forward. I give it a little throttle and it goes, back in reverse and nothing again. Not sure what it is. I have a CEL but it has been there since my headers because I deleted my cats. I dont have a scanner to check.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone or any other parts store usually has a scanner to check codes. Sounds like you need a transmission..... good luck...

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R&R the tranny. You will have reverse again.