Need help won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does $58 sound right for a fuel pressure regulator? I mean is that a decent price or am I getting ripped off?

Did you diagnose a bad FPR? Last we heard you were still trying to figure out what was wrong.

You said you are getting fuel so why do you keep checking everything fuel related. Sounds to me like your starter

He also said that his starter is turning the engine over normally. If the starter is turning the engine over, the only issue the starter could be having is whether or not it is turning fast enough. He may be getting fuel, but it has to be at the correct pressure in order to run properly.

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
It figures when I want to work on the tahoe we get all kinds of snow! I will keep everyone informed. I didn't buy the FPR yet but I will check my pressure first and see whats happening with that on a clearer day. I appreciate all the help.

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem too. I had my fuel pressure regulator changed along with my distributor cap (for the hell of it) and it fixed the problem. The regulator had a bad seal and fuel was leaking into my engine when shut off, flooding it out.

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the fuel pressure ends up fine, I would check the cats next. When my cat fell apart and clogged up mine did the same thing as yours is doing. The upstream o2 removal is an interesting idea but would it really move enough air to keep the truck running?

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
alright when I pulled the lines off of the FPR, I smelled no gas and the lines were dry as a bone. Now if you guys know your fuel pumps they wine louder than other makes. Well mine right now is making a groggy low zzzzz and I think it is priming and there's something blocking it from getting to the motor. Would this mean FPR then?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the fuel filter. When you remove it, see if there is gas there. Gas should run out the lines at both ends when you remove the filter. If not, then your pump isn't pumping. If there is gas, then it's downstream of the filter.

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
Yeah as I said before I changed the fuel filter....I had fuel come out both ends so I know it definately isn't anything from the fuel filter back which including the Fuel pump. I just bought the FPR today and I will see how that goes. Where exactly is the fuel pressure regulator located at before I go and start tearing things apart. This is my last option with this FPR. If this isn't it then I'd take it as a clog in my fuel lines somewhere correct?

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah as I said before I changed the fuel filter....I had fuel come out both ends so I know it definately isn't anything from the fuel filter back which including the Fuel pump. I just bought the FPR today and I will see how that goes. Where exactly is the fuel pressure regulator located at before I go and start tearing things apart. This is my last option with this FPR. If this isn't it then I'd take it as a clog in my fuel lines somewhere correct?

You could always pull the fuel line at the rail and put it in some sort of container and turn the key on. Gas should start flowing into the container. This would verify a clog or not..

jimmy b

Reaction score
I was a tech. for many years and you may need to have a scan tool to see if your (coolant temp. sensor) is reading correct temp. If it reads too high a temp. it will make hard to start and need to be replaced. Plus make sure you have correct fuel presure. I think the presure should be around 60 psi. (unlike 13 psi in the past) I hope I helped

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't do the work to replace the FPR, but they did take the whole top of the engine off to get to it.

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go buy a service manual! The FPR are usually right before the fuel enters the fuel rail or throttle body..

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
so an update on things....I am still having the problem. It's not a fuel problem. I have fuel getting to the rail and I have very good fuel pressure. I have an intermittent problem. I have changed my battery, alternator, coil, wires, plugs, and cap. I know I have to be losing power somewhere. With all the things I have done it only starts when I jump it. Took it to 3 mechanics and nobody knows what or where the problem is.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is check engine light staying on?? Is it throwing any codes?? I had a similar problem and found it was the EGR valve. Replaced it an it ran fine.
One of the first indications I had was it stubbled when you let off the pedal and when stopped at lights. Timing, spark and fuel were all fine, wouldn't start, pretty much the same as yours.
Regards
TG

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
Finally a service engine light! She's finally throwing codes to me and it is saying code P0446 "Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction" and 2nd code P0174 "System Too Lean (Bank 2)"

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like not enough fuel. you said good fuel pressure. what was your reading on the gauge when you checked it?

uxb101

Reaction score
hit the tank with a hammer,then try shake the fuse box under the hood ,could be a bad connector under that fuse box ,try switching the fuel pump relay with the other relay they are both the same amp hey just my 2cents good luck