Need to lift my 97 tahoe any ideas???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mossyoakman827

Reaction score
hey buddy thanks again ill just throw some 35s on it and i was thinkin about running a 373 gear whats stock do you know or would you have a gear sugestion i do alot of freeway driven and some in town this is my everyday driver

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To find out what gears you have in you tahoe now look in you glove box for the RPO code and which ever one of these you have that is the what the gears are assuming that no one has changed them previously. I would put some 4.56 gears in it if you change them.
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything over a 35" tire needs at least a 4.10 in my opinion. I am running a 35" with 3.73 right now and I think it is a bit sluggish. I am pushing a decent bit of power too. A stock motor needs gears, it will be easier on your tranny also. I am going with a 4.56 here shortly.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the highway put in 4.56's. i drove mine ungeared for a year with a high milage (169K) stock 350, and you'll have no power. geared up to 4.88's on mine for when i put a bigger lift on it. its great around town, but a little lacking on the highway. (may get better when i get the computer tuned next year, speedo/shiftpoints/ABS sensors are still all wrong)