new/aftermkt stereo system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PHXdesertTahoe

Reaction score
Easily! Like my last post says a very decent set of components will run me $200 and you can get a decent amp for another $200.

Just so all of you know if you haven't seen this already you'll need this harness for adding any aftermarket amplifiers etc...

Great find Gambler. I've been looking for something like that to get an amp hooked up to my Tahoe. My concern I had originally is the background noise caused when the source is pulled from the speaker lines, but this looks like it will do the trick for sure. Great info!

I think I'm going to try running my old 30X4 Kenwood Amp to the factory speakers to see if I can get a little bit more pop out of them.

Does anyone on the forum happen to know what the RMS rating on the factory componets for the non bose for the 07 + Tahoe is? I'm not even sure if they are 4 ohm speakers.

Thanks a ton,

Matt.

treyd45

Reaction score
its a bold statment but my 2 10's will hit louder then your 12's

PHXdesertTahoe

Reaction score
Great find Gambler. I've been looking for something like that to get an amp hooked up to my Tahoe. My concern I had originally is the background noise caused when the source is pulled from the speaker lines, but this looks like it will do the trick for sure. Great info!

I think I'm going to try running my old 30X4 Kenwood Amp to the factory speakers to see if I can get a little bit more pop out of them.

Does anyone on the forum happen to know what the RMS rating on the factory componets for the non bose for the 07 + Tahoe is? I'm not even sure if they are 4 ohm speakers.

Thanks a ton,

Matt.

UPDATE: Just pulled some info. Looks like the stock speakers are rated at 8 ohms. I would guess it is probably not a good idea to try and amp them up.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I think adding a component setup is not worth the money unless you are going all out. Buy a good Head Unit and your subs and amp before a component setup. This way you can take all the lows out of your speakers and let the subs do what they are suppose too. A new HU will increase the power and sound 10times over the factory HU.

Just my 2cents

Last edited:

PHXdesertTahoe

Reaction score
I looked in to going the HU route myself but ran into some problems in a couple different areas. I may have been told wrong, but I think you may loose your steering wheel volume controls and warning chimes if you replace the factory radio. You may run into some problems with Ohm ratings as well. I would assume since the factory speakers in the 07 and 08's are 8 Ohm, that the output on the factory radio would be 8 Ohm although I could be off. If you were to go to a 4 Ohm aftermarket HU which I think most aftermarket HU's are, then by theory it would cut the volume you hear out of the factory speakers in half.

Unfortunatley I have found that on these newer Chevy's there is no easy one componet fix. It seems you most likely have to replace the source of the power (internal or external amp) and add aftermarket speakers to match the Ohm ratings up so you don't risk either poor volume quality on one end or overheating and damaging the radio on the other end.

I'm not an expert though, so I could be off somewhere in my statement.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked in to going the HU route myself but ran into some problems in a couple different areas. I may have been told wrong, but I think you may loose your steering wheel volume controls and warning chimes if you replace the factory radio. You may run into some problems with Ohm ratings as well. I would assume since the factory speakers in the 07 and 08's are 8 Ohm, that the output on the factory radio would be 8 Ohm although I could be off. If you were to go to a 4 Ohm aftermarket HU which I think most aftermarket HU's are, then by theory it would cut the volume you hear out of the factory speakers in half.

Unfortunatley I have found that on these newer Chevy's there is no easy one componet fix. It seems you most likely have to replace the source of the power (internal or external amp) and add aftermarket speakers to match the Ohm ratings up so you don't risk either poor volume quality on one end or overheating and damaging the radio on the other end.

I'm not an expert though, so I could be off somewhere in my statement.

Your absolutely right.......right about being off :)

I am installing a Pioneer unit this weekend in my 07 and PAC makes a steering wheels adapter and for the Onstar and chime....Metra makes an adapter for all Bose and Non-Bose set-ups. I will also will be hooking up my headrest monitors to the deck as well.

b's07hoe

Reaction score
I put in a w205 using the pac os3 for onstar and swi jack for the steering wheel controls. I retained everything like stock and when I put in new speakers I hooked up the back 3.5's to play the onstar only. And by the way I run JL subs, love them, but do agree that if you look around it's not hard to find cheaper subs that sound as good. I usually run all alpine but I got a smokin deal on the subs.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would first put your sub/amps in, this way you can put all your bass to your subs and not your door speakers. this will make it sound alot better. then next i would put in a headunit and then components.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my new setup all hooked up tonight, took me a few nights to get everything done. Sounds MUCH better than the stock speakers! I'll have to get some pics on here in the next day or so.