New fuel economy mandates likely to become law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By 2020, it's likely that unless auto manufacturers can figure a way to get an average of 35MPG (including these nice big vehicles we love here), we'll all be either paying penalty taxes / use-fees, or if GM wants to keep selling them, we'll all be happier at the pump... Hmmm -- hippie tree-huggers!

See here for more info...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, but I dunno dude, this sounds pretty serious. BUT, it'd likely have no real effect until a few years before 2020 anyway. I'm not worried -- I can only concern myself with how to get by today and plan a little for tomorrow, let alone 12 years out!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isnt there a gas guzzler tax on them already, (enless my dealer just bam boosled me for an extra 2k) i was charges a 2000 doller extra for a gas guzzler tax, is there such a thing??

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, a gas guzzler tax? My friend is a salesman for Cheverolet, and we've never heard of that...you may have been robbed..

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isnt there a gas guzzler tax on them already, (enless my dealer just bam boosled me for an extra 2k) i was charges a 2000 doller extra for a gas guzzler tax, is there such a thing??

Haha sounds like you got ripped off to me, my brother is the general manager of a Ford dealership in Houston and I've never heard of that, and I remember hearing that Ford has the worst average fuel economy of what used to be "the big three."

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By 2020, it's likely that unless auto manufacturers can figure a way to get an average of 35MPG (including these nice big vehicles we love here), we'll all be either paying penalty taxes / use-fees, or if GM wants to keep selling them, we'll all be happier at the pump... Hmmm -- hippie tree-huggers!

See here for more info...

Penalty Taxes MY #$%^!!!!

Sorry :D :thumbsup:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen the gas guzzler tax before, I thought they only charged if you were out of the "norm" for your car's class. Pretty sure I didn't pay it for my 07 tahoe...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I didn't pay any such thing on my truck at purchase time, but who's to say that your or my state wouldn't attempt to collect some sort of penalty tax or use fee. I dunno, I just hate crap like this though. :cuss:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some info about the gas guzzler tax.

Summary:
Any vehicle which gets less than 21.5mpg combined (weighted) is subject to the tax. However, lucky for us, SUVs and Trucks are exempted as they are considered work vehicles (at the time SUVs hadn't taken off yet). So if you paid the tax for an SUV you ought to go back and break some skulls!

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I didn't pay any such thing on my truck at purchase time, but who's to say that your or my state wouldn't attempt to collect some sort of penalty tax or use fee. I dunno, I just hate crap like this though. :cuss:

Like Lap Top says, just another way to threaten us to get rid of these great vehicles and pay more $$$.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some info about the gas guzzler tax.

Summary:
Any vehicle which gets less than 21.5mpg combined (weighted) is subject to the tax. However, lucky for us, SUVs and Trucks are exempted as they are considered work vehicles (at the time SUVs hadn't taken off yet). So if you paid the tax for an SUV you ought to go back and break some skulls!

yea, im gunna call tommarrow, hmm that would be nice to have an extra 2k in my pocket right around christmas. :yesnod:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of our newest laws...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317407,00.html

And there you go. At least they dropped the pork-barrel tax inclusions, which is why Bush signed it... Only time will tell now, how this plays out. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, energy independence is important. My kids will benefit from this, but may not be driving a nice big vehicle like a GMT900 when they're grown up... We'll see!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tree huggers

I heard that starting Jan 1, 2008, it's open season, no limit on them. :lol: :nunu: :gun: :jump:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the fact that these things can run on E85 will exempt them somehow from this requirement...