New fuel pump= rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiznit

Reaction score
Just installed a new fuel pump on 01 tahoe. Been great for a week then had rough idle at stop lights. Now its starting to do it while driving with a flashing ses light. I did replace to a new connector on wiring harness. Any suggestions? TIA

shiznit

Reaction score
Yes before installing the new fuel pump. Just to see if that was the problem.

clkelley

Reaction score
Was it the same issue you had before installing the new pump or did the old pump just quit? Do you have a way to read codes? IF not, you can go to autozone and borrow one to pull the codes to try and narrow things a bit, but it sounds like you may have a bad pressure regulator.

shiznit

Reaction score
Yes it acting the way it did before it went out, fuel pressure is 50-60. I have not ran codes yet, hopefully doing that tomm. Where would the pressure regulator be located?

clkelley

Reaction score
Your FPR should be on the side of the fuel rail, you should also be able to hook a gauge to it to check the operation. Beyond that, something you may try before replacing it is cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor good just to see if that makes a difference at all.

briando

Reaction score
before you spend the big bucks and the time, find a shop that does that BG oil products that limbaugh is always pushin. i did it couple months ago and my truck idles better, starts better, and gets a little bit better gas mileage

Last edited by a moderator:

shiznit

Reaction score
Update, all four O2 sensors were out. Replaced them all w new ac delco. Also had a misfire code which I believe was caused by a loose plug wire. Cleared the codes and runs great. After 20 or so miles another ses light came on now I have 2 codes p0140 and p0160. No activity from rear O2 sensors. Any idea what would cause this? Is there a fuse anywhere to ck?

clkelley

Reaction score
I personally would check the harness and plugs, follow them to ensure that you don't have something that is either not plugged in correctly or melted together from touching the hot exhaust. The most common reason for those codes is a wiring harness malfunction like having them melted together. But it could also be moisture in the harness plugs, if you don't find any signs of the wiring being melted together I would attempt to dry out the plugs themselves and go from there.

clkelley

Reaction score
You can also check out these procedures:

Shut off vehicle. Visually check the Bank1,2 harness connector for melting or chafing of the harness or the connector. Repair or replace as needed 3. Turn ignition on, but engine off. Disconnect the O2 sensor connector and check for 12Volts at the Heater Circuit supply and for proper ground on the heater circuit ground circuit. a. If 12V heater supply is missing, check the proper fuses for an open in the circuit. If heater circuit fuse is blown, then suspect a bad heater in the o2 sensor causing a blown heater circuit fuse. Replace sensor and fuse and recheck. b. If ground is missing, trace the circuit and clean or repair ground circuit. 4. Next, with connector still unplugged, check for 5 Volts on the reference circuit. If this is missing, check for 5 Volts at the PCM connector. If 5 Volts is present at the PCM connector but not at the o2 sensor harness connector, then there is an open or short in the reference wire supply between the PCM and the o2 sensor connector. However, if there is no 5 Volts present at the PCM connector, the PCM is likely at fault due to internal short. Replace PCM. ** (NOTE: on Chrysler models, a common problem is the 5Volt reference circuit can be shorted out by any sensor on the car that uses a 5 Volt reference. Simply unplug each sensor one at a time until the 5 Volts reappears. The last sensor you unplugged is the shorted sensor. Replacing it should fix the 5 Volt reference short.) 5. If all the voltages and grounds are present, then replace the Bank 1,2 O2 sensor and re-test.