new member with questions before purchasing a denali xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AG1221

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking to purchase an 01-03 denali xl and thought i would stop in to ask a few questions. What are the common problems with these model years, what to look for when purchasing this specific vehicle, etc.? Was the awd set up a problem on these vehicles or ?

Thanks in advance.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I cant help you with the awd or 4x4 question. I wanted a 2wd and did not want to hassle around with a 4x4. I can however, help you out otherwise. IMHO, the reason I grabbed a 2002 was because I have read too many stories about failing instrument clusters, issues with dual climate control, and issues regarding OEM stereos.

Yes the 2000-2002 interior look a tad outdated to the 2003-2006. But IMHO, it is really hard to tell.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an 03 Denali 6.0L AWD...what would you like to know?

"I have read too many stories about failing instrument clusters"
I had issues with my dash cluster when I first got the truck 2 years ago..it was an easy fix from the factory...never messed up after..

"issues with dual climate control, and issues regarding OEM stereo"
Never had any issues with these...but the Denali comes with a different stock setup then Sepiroth has in his Burban..

*plus I got a new AVIC-Z2 anyways ;)*

What are you looking for in a truck? Would you want AWD/4x4? Do you want the big 6.0L?

Heres an issue...the truck hauls ass...so if you have a heavy foot...expect to get lots of low gas mileage and lots of speeding tickets lol ;)

tribalbreak

Reaction score
i would have to agree with blizzard, my 03 nali hauls ass and you can watch that gas guage just drop down. ive had it for a few months now and the only issue is the rear heat wont blow anything but ice cold air... that is what the waranty is for i guess... but i love the truck cept the gas mileage... but we pay that price driving the tanks we drive

AG1221

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Like everything about these, except was leary of gm with awd, so was just making sure there were no major common problems with them, like awd drive problems, front end problems, etc. What are you guys averaging for mpg city/hwy? Thanks again.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on what speed your driivng....

60mph @ 1700RPM * cruise control ON = 20-22mpg
70mph @ 2000RPM * cruise control ON = 16-17mpg
80mph @ 2400RPM * cruise control ON = 16-17mpg
90mph @ 2500RPM * cruise control ON = 11-12mpg
108mph @ 3000RPM * cruise control OFF = 11-12mpg

and City mileage doesnt count..because I have a HEAVY foot..so its not accurate at all

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my AWD, I wasn't sure if I would but I really do, even a little off roading and some sand dunes are alot of fun!!

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody here ever seems to have tranny problems but on another site I use to frequent just about everybody said to expect problems with the 4L60e tranny around the 100K mark. I bought my 2K 'Ho last December with about 92K miles on it. The tranny went out, needle bearing in the sun gear, in about April. Might not hurt to have someone check it out before you buy. I also have intermittent cluster issues, hasn't gone out yet, I've got my fingers crossed.

tribalbreak

Reaction score
ive been told that the motor and tranny are bullet proof in these awd systems... and with a mix of city and highway driving im getting about 13mpg... i have no clue how blizzard gets that good of mileage but i want to know his secret

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been told that the motor and tranny are bullet proof in these awd systems... and with a mix of city and highway driving im getting about 13mpg... i have no clue how blizzard gets that good of mileage but i want to know his secret

Do they have the 4L60e?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you will be towing or carrying a realy heavy load try and stay away from the autoride or whatever they tend to call it. I just replaced the shocks and the pump recently and it is way too expensive to be worth it. Thought I would like it at first but its just been a hasel. Thats pretty much my only complaint about these things.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have absolutely no idea... there really is no secret..I dont have any excuse for it though :confused2: I dont mind it though! :D

I love my AWD...Its been amazing so far..my Autoride has never had any problems either..but like these guys have said...These features are all very expensive to fix/replace when you have to.. *UNLESS you go to like..pick'n'pull..then they are cheap repairs..but not everyone does that*

My truck is at like..80-82k or around there...if my tranny goes out, I'll just go to the *NEW GMC TRUCK* dismantlers and upgrade from a 4L60 up to a 4L80

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats actually what I get too but its not an xl and that could have something to do with it. but if you want a denali I definetly recommend it. There are small issues with some of the intererior features such as the rear climate control but its sort of come and goes and it doenst come along very often.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention for trips they arent that bad on gas. I remember i took a trip to Abilene texas this summer from denver and I made it there in 2 tanks. I milked it all the way till the light lit up and got about 6 hours out of the tank