No brakes/hazards/turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveL

Reaction score
No brake lights. Rt,Lt or Top..
No Turn or Hazard signals...
Do have Running Lights..

Noticed this last night...Everything worked 30 minutes before I noticed this because I had just used the Hazards and the Turn signals while pulling my tow dolly..w/7 pin connector.

I unplugged the tow dolly..still no brake/hazard/turn lights..

I have checked EVERY fuse in all the fuse blocks..all are good..

Any help is appreciated..

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double check the wiring for the hitch. sounds like this only happened after you hooked up to the trailer?

my truck, every time i hook up to the trailer it blows the fuse for my washer fluid pump lol. not as severe.

DaveL

Reaction score
Wiring looks to be in good shape...
Had the electric brake and hook up installed at an RV center here in Chattanooga a few months back...

As I said earlier, I have absolutely no fuses blown in any of blocks...

DaveL

Reaction score
I have also just checked the fuse block with my meter..
Everything comes up to 11.5 to 12 on the block...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if your turn signals work on the front, then you have an issue with the wiring in the rear, you need to check the ground for the rear lights and associated harness. BTW the ground for the rear lights is behind the bumper on the rear frame rail..... mine was bad. What year is your rig?

DaveL

Reaction score
No sir..I have no turn signals at all..front or rear..
No brake lights at all..
No hazards at all..
I do have parking lights and headlights high/low beams
It is a 2000 Tahoe Limited..OBS..Chevy's SS version

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so when you engage the turn signal does the light at least light up? If so, check your flasher, if not, then I would suspect a possible bad multifuncion switch.... Some electrical testing could determine for shure, but what is your skill level?

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact symptoms happened to my 1998 Monte Carlo and my 2000 Buick ultra... Bought one from autozone for well over 300$ for the ultra then seen one on eBay for $40.... Just looked up the tahoes multifunction switch and they are around 30-50 bucks brand new on there and it looks to be very simple, don't need to pull steering wheel or air bag... Still would pull battery out just for safety tho... Both worked as new after replacing the switch... Maybe it was either a coincidence it went out after hooking a trailer to it or the trailer voltage pull was the straw that broke the preverbal camels back...

Good luck

DaveL

Reaction score
Same exact symptoms happened to my 1998 Monte Carlo and my 2000 Buick ultra... Bought one from autozone for well over 300$ for the ultra then seen one on eBay for $40.... Just looked up the tahoes multifunction switch and they are around 30-50 bucks brand new on there and it looks to be very simple, don't need to pull steering wheel or air bag... Still would pull battery out just for safety tho... Both worked as new after replacing the switch... Maybe it was either a coincidence it went out after hooking a trailer to it or the trailer voltage pull was the straw that broke the preverbal camels back...

Good luck

Alrighty...Changed the MFS and the Brake Switch out..all seems to be fixed on the lighting probrem..

Brake Switch..8.99 @ O'rielly's
MFS...43.00 to my door @ Sandman's Auto Parts online..Mark Sandberg is the owner..real nice and helpful guy. :peace:

Beeker702

Reaction score
It's your multifunction switch aka turn signal lever. Wiggle your hazarded button and you'll get your blinkers to work and know your 3rd brake light does not run off of the multifunction switch

DaveL

Reaction score
It's your multifunction switch aka turn signal lever. Wiggle your hazarded button and you'll get your blinkers to work and know your 3rd brake light does not run off of the multifunction switch

Yes sir...but my Brake Switch was bad before the MFS went out..so I replaced them both...:waytogo:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also an inline fuse in the hitch harness if not bring it back to the installer

Beeker702

Reaction score
Ok cool DaveL glad it all worked out. Mine blew cause of faulty wiring on a uhaul trailer and I had to prove it by taking my 93 1500 blazer up there and hooking up a good trailer and then the bad one. Made them pay me $600 and then got 2 of them off of eBay and paid my buddy $50 to put them in both trucks.