Noisy Ac Tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRIFTER

Reaction score
Only With The Ac On, And The Engine Is At Around 2500 Rpm The Ac Belt Tensioner Starts Oscilating. I've Replaced The Belts And The Tensioner. Any Advise Would Be Appreciated.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only With The Ac On, And The Engine Is At Around 2500 Rpm The Ac Belt Tensioner Starts Oscilating. I've Replaced The Belts And The Tensioner. Any Advise Would Be Appreciated.

sounds like a bad tensioner thats a common thing among refurbs sits along with steering pump noise on replacement :)

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the year, we've had lots of problems with A/C compressors having excessively high pressures, causing noise and internal failure of the compressor.

Most of the high pressure concerns, are actually caused by a failing fan clutch. (00-05 model that had mech. fans). If you can spin your fan by hand (engine off please!!!) keep spining it. If it gets so easy to spin that it's like a pulley, then you need a new fan clutch.

shawn03

Reaction score
Depending on the year, we've had lots of problems with A/C compressors having excessively high pressures, causing noise and internal failure of the compressor.

Most of the high pressure concerns, are actually caused by a failing fan clutch. (00-05 model that had mech. fans). If you can spin your fan by hand (engine off please!!!) keep spining it. If it gets so easy to spin that it's like a pulley, then you need a new fan clutch.

tspain,

I believe I have the same problem. When I drive my 03 Tahoe with the A/C on all of the sudden it sounds like someone put a stick in the fan blades. If I turn the A/C off the sound goes away, turn it back on it will start making the noise again. I have broken 3 A/C belts because of it. Local dealer told me I had a bearing going bad in the A/C compressor and wanted $900+ to fix it. Is the compressor pretty much toast once I get to this stage? I will check my fan clutch tomorrow.

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tspain,

I believe I have the same problem. When I drive my 03 Tahoe with the A/C on all of the sudden it sounds like someone put a stick in the fan blades. If I turn the A/C off the sound goes away, turn it back on it will start making the noise again. I have broken 3 A/C belts because of it. Local dealer told me I had a bearing going bad in the A/C compressor and wanted $900+ to fix it. Is the compressor pretty much toast once I get to this stage? I will check my fan clutch tomorrow.

Your compressor is pretty much gone. The high side pressures have gone too high and metal has probably contaminated the system due to the compressor failing.

You can find compressors online, or in salvage yards and autozone. But you definately need to replace the fan clutch.

bigham

Reaction score
Ok, I have replaced the AC tensioner and the Belts, After the tensioner was replaced it stopped making the noise for 9 days, It now and even before only makes the noise when its hot outside I live in FL> so its hot every freakin day, It only does this when its been sitting all day in the Sun and my wife starts the car and as described above when you leave the light at about 2500 rpm's it does this until you let off the gas and it stops, IT ONLY DOES THIS WHEN ITS HOT OUTSIDE, I did the AC Fan check as des cribed by TSPAIN "nice tip" and its good and tight like a FAn Clutch like on a Water pump. Any help whould be nice, My belts are still in Prestine conditions no signs of "Glazed" over belts from slipping, The only thing I havent replace is the Main Tension and Idle Pulley the spinn freely and Have some pretty good tension on them, whats even stranger is that I can go outside have someone get in the truck and Rev the engine High or low and it doesnt make the noise , Only when under a load IE: driving down the road. Thanks again I know this is a repetive thread but still have issue's I had Chevrolet look at the AC compressor and they said its fine. DaHoe has 135,000

bigham

Reaction score
Ok, I have replaced the AC tensioner and the Belts, After the tensioner was replaced it stopped making the noise for 9 days, It now and even before only makes the noise when its hot outside I live in FL> so its hot every freakin day, It only does this when its been sitting all day in the Sun and my wife starts the car and as described above when you leave the light at about 2500 rpm's it does this until you let off the gas and it stops, IT ONLY DOES THIS WHEN ITS HOT OUTSIDE, I did the AC Fan check as des cribed by TSPAIN "nice tip" and its good and tight like a FAn Clutch like on a Water pump. Any help whould be nice, My belts are still in Prestine conditions no signs of "Glazed" over belts from slipping, The only thing I havent replace is the Main Tension and Idle Pulley the spinn freely and Have some pretty good tension on them, whats even stranger is that I can go outside have someone get in the truck and Rev the engine High or low and it doesnt make the noise , Only when under a load IE: driving down the road. Thanks again I know this is a repetive thread but still have issue's I had Chevrolet look at the AC compressor and they said its fine. DaHoe has 135,000
..... the Pulley that was replaced was actually replaced but My wife said the Air stopped working today after the same noise and I went by to see what was going on and low and behold the pulley on the tension assembly was missing...... :eek:gee I wonder what the problem was, so I guess even if the pulley is replaced and it still happens shortly after, it probably is the Pulley's bearings Failing. because there is nothing there but a spindle to put the pulley on.... If you have this issue take it to a dealer there seems to be a few things it could be. I know this subject is like beaten a dead horse but this web site rocks.:cool:

BlackBeauty02

Reaction score
Hey Tspain,
My 02 tahoe is just starting to have those issues. The chattering and noise is not consistent, in fact it comes and goes, although its happening more frequently. My fan clutch is definately gone. Thanks to your instructions and my replacing the tensioner and belt, i found the fan moving quite freely. So i know i need to replace this. But, will replacing the clutch stop the problem right now or do i need to replace the compressor too (about 250-300 bucks, not including recharging the system).
Thanks!

palirwin

Reaction score
There is a TSB about this. I had the problem in my 01 Tahoe. The compressor starts sloushing the oil around which causes inconsistent pressure on the compressor, therefore creating radical fluctuations on the belt and tensioner. I went through three tensioner replacements trying to find this out. apparently it is pretty common, but why it is so hard to find this answer is beside me. Anyway, if this is indeed your problem, you will probably notice intermittent loud chattering, this is the tensioner banging on its own little tab which keeps it from traveling too far. For me it was most obvious when accelerating. Once the tab breaks off, your belt starts coming off. Anyway, it is time for a new compressor. BTW, don't go cheap when you do this. Replace the orifice tube, the dryer, and if you have rear A/C replace the rear expansion valve. Do it all at once or else be sorry later. Also, I recommend you look at your condensor in front of your radiator. Make sure it is good and clean. If not, try to clean it now, or plan to replace it while you are taking everything apart anyway. I did not, and mine is clogged up from grass seeds, bugs, and dirt. I have 155k miles on it and I spend a lot of time off road so it is pretty bad. Anyway, very difficult to clean the condensor, but expensive to replace if you don't do it when you have the system cracked open anyway.