Noob needs normals on batt light, DVD power, oil level, headlights off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maybe

Reaction score
As mentioned in other threads, I bought an 04 Yukon XL SLT a few days ago. Canadian truck. We love it, but it's got problems. 16 of 'em that I've found so far, despite being a "GM Optimum recertified" critter. We're talking big honking issues any idiot would notice, like missing lenses and lights that don't turn on. If they'd actually done the 150-point inspection, they'd have found each and every single one of them.

The poor critter's going back to the dealership tomorrow morning for godknowshowlong to have the laundry list fixed. Before it goes, there are a few things I'd really appreciate doublechecking with people who know their trucks, and won't save $$ by BSing me. :)

1) Instrument panel battery light. According to the manual, this is supposed to come on when the key is in RUN position but the engine isn't running. On our truck, it comes on in ACC. Somewhat unnerving when you're just sitting still with the radio on. Is this normal?

2) DVD power. Audiovox roof unit, I assume it's stock because the truck has the sunroof and I remember seeing somewhere that sunroof/dvd were a package in 2004. Manual shows a Panasonic unit, but then half the manual is US-only stuff, and this is a Canadian truck. At any rate, the DVD will only work with the key in RUN position. Manual says it should work in ACC or retained accessory power, but it's dead. Does anyone's DVD actually work in ACC or RAP?

3) Headlight switch - automatic headlights. The "off" position on this switch seems to be spring-loaded. I can't for the life of me figure out how to kill the lights on this truck if I want to. I don't want to defeat the DRLs when I'm on the road, but I'd like to be able to have the truck idle in park with lights off. The parking/emergency brake's done this on any other vehicle we've had, but it doesn't work on the Yukon either. What am I missing?

4) Oil level. The first time Hubby pulled the dipstick, the level was a good 3/4" above the top of the hatched area. Far as I've always known, above the hatch = overfilled. Checked the manual, and it said the same thing. Took it in to the dealership's sister location nearer to my home, where they decided to remedy the problem by performing an oil change. I know they actually did something, because the DIC said oil life remaining had gone from 97% back up to 100. Hubby pulled the dipstick after I got home, and same thing - overfilled by 3/4". I called GM to ask if there'd been a manual revision, a recall to change the dipstick, or a service bulletin advising this new oil level, and was told no - it's to be filled to the top of the hatching, period. I'm seriously confused why 2 GM dealerships would do something odd...but then again, this first one sent the truck out with a pile of leaves in the air filter housing. I don't get it.

If anyone's got some wisdom here, I'd sure love to hear it!

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you're checking the oil with the vehicle parked on level ground.

It's possible two dealerships made the same mistake. Or the second dealership cheated and didn't perform an oil change and just reset the Oil Life indicator...

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. what a crappy way to start with that new ride. welcome anyway.
I would think the DVD should run at ACC not needing to be all the way to RUN... unless its some battery-saver, that you dont run it dead watching dvds.

for the DRLs, I think you can modify the relay in some fashion, but Im not certain on your year model. sorry i didnt help much. :)

Maybe

Reaction score
Not getting the vehicle level before checking the oil is definitely a common mistake, but Hubby was a mechanic in the armed forces. This truck was definitely level. As a redundancy, checks were performed in 2 different flat locations, with identical results. The oil life indicator thingy is a new gizmo to me, and I didn't know that it could be reset without actually performing an oil change. That's very useful information. Thank you!

Thanks for the welcome, treepete!

I dunno about the DVD not working being a power saving mechanism. Not the most electrically gifted person here, but we have a 3 year old portable DVD player (7" screen) that'll run for hours on a battery the size of 2 Mars bars. The truck has the stock 6-cd changer with 9 speakers...wouldn't running the changer, amps, and all those speakers be as hard on the battery as a tiny little DVD player would? I saw a thread somewhere on this site about how long other guys run their stereos before cranking the engine to recharge, and they were measuring in hours.

If you turn our truck off, it'll protect the battery by killing the stereo in a minute, or as soon as someone opens the doors. The DVD never gets a chance to be in that minute power saver routine...it just dies as soon as you pull the key out of RUN. It seems odd to me that the designers would treat 2 pieces of equipment that have similar purposes/draws so differently, especially when the DVD can use the stereo (FM) as speakers. That's why I'm assuming it's a defect/problem, not a design feature.

I'm really hoping this headlight thing isn't a "thou must mod" situation, but I'm starting to wonder. Night before last, I took the truck out after dark and spun the light switch around. Off/Auto/Parking/Headlights On....all 4 positions gave the same exact result - full headlights on, ready for the highway. Not even a flicker as the knob passed between positions. Flipping the parking brake on didn't affect it either. On the way to the dealer yesterday in broad daylight, I checked the knob again, and actually got some response. I could switch between DRL/parking/headlights, but that was it. The Off position still did nothing, and the parking brake still didn't affect the DRLs.

Oh well...the truck's at the dealership now, along with an itemized report on the 20 issues that've popped up so far. Turns out the service manager's family owns a bunch of property in the wilderness hick town I grew up in, and he's close with someone I went to school with. That's reassuring, having the new baby under the care of someone from back home.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though mine is a 2007, there are still some similarities in features on our Canadian-spec Yukon.

2) At any rate, the DVD will only work with the key in RUN position. Manual says it should work in ACC or retained accessory power, but it's dead. Does anyone's DVD actually work in ACC or RAP?
Our DVD is a Panasonic and works in ACC or RAP.
3) Headlight switch - automatic headlights. The "off" position on this switch seems to be spring-loaded. I can't for the life of me figure out how to kill the lights on this truck if I want to.
My headlamps are exactly the same. The owner's manual states that Canadian vehicles cannot defeat Automatic headlights. It bugs me and I've been researching how to disable them all-together.