Oil change help!! every 3k or when my percentage reaches 0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

King0fAz

Reaction score
im not sure which one to follow, can anyone help me. Also i live in az so its pretty hot in the summer and i drive a 07 ltz 5.3 2wd tahoe if that helps at all. thanks

kntrydr

Reaction score
Go by the mileage not the light I had the same question when I got my Tahoe and every dealer and oil change place told me the oil life monitor was crap

blairian

Reaction score
That's good information to know - I was wondering if that thing would be accurate at all...

Ned's LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil life monitor system will work if you use dexos blend oil. Chevrolet made this change in 2011 because the monitor system was not accurate. With the blended oil, it should be accurate. Anything 2011 and newer uses the dexos blend, except for the performance engines, which will be moble 1. With the dexos, you should get at least 5000 between changes instead of the 3000. Hope that helps a little.

LTZ054

Reaction score
This may stir up some controversy but the 3K oil change is a myth. I work in the auto industry as an engineer here in detroit and I'm also an AMSOIL Dealer. Its simply not true. I don't care what type of oil you use it simply does nto wear out that fast. There might be those rare exceptions. This is especially true if use a synthetic oil. I don't change my oil at 20K intervals with a filter change at 10K. I also get my oil analized and it never comes back with abnormal wear. If you dont belive me...
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Ned's LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that this thread will go on...and on...and on. I was only answering the question about the DIC oil life monitor, and the change GM made in 2011 with oil. I know everyone has a different "read" on what correct is, including myself. My trucks get changed once a year with low miles each year. It's what i'm comfortable with. It doesn't make me right or wrong, just what i'm comfortable with.
I guess i'll never learn to just leave these types of questions alone. haha.