oil pan removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BClark1204

Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe 4wd. I am having a lot of difficulty getting the oil pan out. Any suggestions? Do I need to raise the engine? If so, what is the easiest way to this? Thanks for any help!

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Document ID# 332474
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oil Pan Replacement
Removal Procedure
Remove the oil level indicator tube. Refer to Oil Level Indicator and Tube Replacement .
Raise the vehicle.
Remove the engine oil and the engine oil filter. Refer to Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement .
Remove the oil filter adapter. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter and Bypass Valve Assembly Replacement .
Remove the starter. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement .
Remove the flywheel inspection cover.
Remove the engine mount through bolts. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement .
Raise and support the engine.

Remove the oil pan..
Note the location of any studs to assist reassembly.
Clean all the sealing surfaces. Refer to Oil Pan Clean and Inspect .
Remove the engine oil pan and the gasket.
Installation Procedure
Install the engine oil pan and a NEW oil pan gasket. Refer to Oil Pan Installation .
Lower the engine onto the engine mounts.
Install the engine mount through-bolts. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement .
Install the starter. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement .
Install the flywheel inspection cover.
Install the oil filter adapter. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter and Bypass Valve Assembly Replacement .
Install the engine oil filter and the engine oil. Refer to Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement .
Lower the vehicle.

Install the oil level indicator tube. Refer to Oil Level Indicator and Tube Replacement .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 332474
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the front diff. it's easy, and they you have great acess to the oil pan.