Oil Pressure Dropping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sd_99_tahoe

Reaction score
Last night I went to run some errands. When I came to a stop, the oil pressure would briefly drop to 0, then bounce back up to 20 while idling. When I accelerated, it would again briefly drop to 0, then come back up. It's holding at around 35 while I'm driving. Any ideas?

zsiya

Reaction score
Check your oil level. When mine does that, its usually a quart or so low.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 2 tahoes 97 and 98 both drop from 35-40 to 20ish at idle, then jump up when accelerator is pressed. if its dropping to 0, i would check that the oil pressure switch is functioning properly. its mounted on the back of the intake manifold under the distributor. check if its leaking. if noe do you have access to an oil pressure guage tester?

Sloppydrippins

Reaction score
same issue with me

I have the exact same problem with my 98 hoe. I bought a replacement oil pressure sending unit, but I've lost my book and after climbing all up under the hood, I still couldn't find the thing. I understand its supposed to be behind or under the distributor, so does that mean the distributor has to be removed?