Oil Pressure Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question because I have never really noticed this before but my oil pressure gauge has started to climb when I accelerate. It goes straight to 40 and stays there until I accelerate then it climbs to about 65. The reason I ask is because I have never noticed any movement before. I have about 68,000miles on it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does pretty much the same as yours, not uncommon for it to be lower at idle and increase when driving.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine oil pressure increases or decreases with engine rpm. This is normal for any car.
+2

John

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed mine while I was on a road trip over Christmas. Wasnt as big as a difference as yours I dont think. Either way it sounds like its normal!

Eng1Driver

Reaction score
I think GM is on of the last automakers to put a real oil pressure gauge in their trucks. My wifes Tahoe does just what you describe, gauge moves with rpm. You'll also notice when the engine is cold the pressure is higher than a warm engines pressure.

My 2008 Ford Superduty has an idiot gauge. Meaning, once the pressure swith senses 8psi of oil pressure it makes the gauge needle go to the middle of the high and low sides of the gauge. It never moves and won't move unless my pressure drops below 8psi.

My 2004 Cummins powered Dodge 2500 had a "virtual gauge". That gauge moved but only because of engine computer software programming and had no direct relation to oil pressure. Also it's movement was subtle and not a true reflection of what the mighty Cummins under the hood was really doing. Basically it was a phony gauge that acted like a real gauge to make you fell good about yourself.

Ford and Dodges reasoning was to eliminate bogus service/warranty visits due to uneducated drivers getting all worked up over their oil pressure gauge moving (like it's suppose to).

avdoc

Reaction score
It will move up with rpms, cold or thick oil, and once oil is warm, it will drop at idle. Mine is 20 lbs higher anyway when accelerating. If it does not move, you need to worry. LOL