Oil type/grade and Filter question 2017 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcww

Reaction score
I am really ticked I have to go to this forum to get a simple question answered but the manual is useless. What part number or type of oil filter do i need and what grade etc. of oil required? I have a 2017 2wd Tahoe with standard engine which I think is 5.3. I live in hot climate in South Mississippi and do most of my driving on highway. Daily 70 mile commute each way. Thanks.

Miami-Dade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in hot humid Miami Beach..If you use any other oil then what is posted on your oil cap [0w20] they could refuse to honor your warranty if you have a engine issue..That is the only oil the dealer uses.

I let the dealer change mine every so often but I usually let my independent mechanic do it..I bring the oil [0w20] Mobil 1 and a AC Delco filter..He charges me 15 bucks to do it..I take long trips in the summer and sit in tons of gridlock with the a/c constantly on and all is okay..I buy my AC Delco filters at the dealer as it is the same price as the store..In my neck of the woods anyway.

I have 2016 Tahoe LT..Exact same as yours

I change oil out every 5K miles.

Last edited:

pcww

Reaction score
Thanks. I am thinking at least 5-30 since no winter concerns and hot in summer.

OLDBADBOB

Reaction score
Thanks. I am thinking at least 5-30 since no winter concerns and hot in summer.

"0W-20w ONLY CHOICE. ANY OTHER GRADE WILL RUIN THE ENGINE.
Oil brand has to be Dexos1 approved on bottle Can be Semi synthetic or full synthetic.