On my way to 25MPG!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Last-Call

Reaction score
So I have been messing around with my 02 5.3 2wd Tahoe to see if I can get it to turn 25 mpg. Now I know I am aiming alittle high, but what the hell. So far I have installed a K&N intake system, a SS throttle body spacer. I went from 14 mpg to 18.8 on the last tank of fuel. I just changed plugs today, gapped them at .060, new plug wires, and a Red top optima battery. So we will see on this tank I filled today will make any difference.

Some other things I plan on doing are, Electric fans, under drive water pump pulley, 165 thremostat, a Gibbson cat back, and a custom tune by a local shop.

Now I know that it will take over a year for the mods to pay for themselfs, but that's not why I'm doing this little test. My buddy was ripping on big gas hog SUV's, so that was just fuel for the fire.

A few other things to think about when comparing your truck to mine, Mine is a two wheel dive, it has been lowered 2-3, and I run 265 70 16's witch is one sive over stock.

I'll keep you posted
Zach

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get 25 mpg in a Tahoe, that is a feat in itself. I've never gone about 21mpg, and that was in the middle of Nevada with a tailwind going mostly downhill!! Definately keep us posted!! :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If you're shooting that high, then every little mod is going to help. I'm thinking about fabbing up some aluminum panels that bolt to the undercarriage to smooth out the airflow and bring down the overall cd (drag) of the vehicle down some. There's turbulence from the undercarriage from all the open areas. Even if it helps only a little, it's a free mod since I have access to aluminum sheets, just involves a little time and labor. Just thought I'd mention that to maybe help you in your quest for that 25mpg goal. You can also add a higher voltage ign system. An elec water pump will help by taking drag off the engine. And billet underdrive crank pulley.
Anyway, keep us posted on your project. I'd like to see some numbers:thumbsup:

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please keep us informed.
For what it's worth, I found that adding all synthetics (oil, diffs, transfer, trans) added 1.5 mpg.

Last-Call

Reaction score
20 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!

I just kissed 20.1 mpg in my truck, Now I have to try the electric fans, and a under drive pulley.If shipping is fast I will have a new update monday or so.

423 miles on 21 gallons of gas!!!!!!

Last-Call

Reaction score
Back for a little update here. I hit 20.1 a few weeks ago and now with the weather being around 0 here I can't seem to get back to 20mpg. I did however have a custom tune put in my truck last night....wow what a difference. I am not talking about one of the hand held tuners. This guy changed a ton of prematures, ign timing, top speed 175, tire size, fuel maps, timing at WOT, and shut off the rear 02 so I can delete the cat with no CEL.

They dynoed a 4wd truck with close the same mods and it turned 320 WHP. witch is 40-50 hp over stock. Remember I'm talking wheel, not crank hp. So this week I will install a test pipe to delete the cat, and cat back system. I think I am going to use a Dynomax ultra flow set up. And the killer part is I just got done with my custom tail pipes, I will take a pic soon.

Fuel saving mods so far.
K&N CAI
SS spacer
plugs
wires
red top battery
ECM tune

still to come
electric fans
under drive water pump pulley
cat back, remove cat

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you find the underdrive pulley? ive been looking online and havent been able to find any?

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you get your tune done? and how much if you dont mind me asking?

Back for a little update here. I hit 20.1 a few weeks ago and now with the weather being around 0 here I can't seem to get back to 20mpg. I did however have a custom tune put in my truck last night....wow what a difference. I am not talking about one of the hand held tuners. This guy changed a ton of prematures, ign timing, top speed 175, tire size, fuel maps, timing at WOT, and shut off the rear 02 so I can delete the cat with no CEL.

They dynoed a 4wd truck with close the same mods and it turned 320 WHP. witch is 40-50 hp over stock. Remember I'm talking wheel, not crank hp. So this week I will install a test pipe to delete the cat, and cat back system. I think I am going to use a Dynomax ultra flow set up. And the killer part is I just got done with my custom tail pipes, I will take a pic soon.

Fuel saving mods so far.
K&N CAI
SS spacer
plugs
wires
red top battery
ECM tune

still to come
electric fans
under drive water pump pulley
cat back, remove cat

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been messing around with my 02 5.3 2wd Tahoe to see if I can get it to turn 25 mpg. Now I know I am aiming alittle high, but what the hell. So far I have installed a K&N intake system, a SS throttle body spacer. I went from 14 mpg to 18.8 on the last tank of fuel. I just changed plugs today, gapped them at .060, new plug wires, and a Red top optima battery. So we will see on this tank I filled today will make any difference.

Some other things I plan on doing are, Electric fans, under drive water pump pulley, 165 thremostat, a Gibbson cat back, and a custom tune by a local shop.

Now I know that it will take over a year for the mods to pay for themselfs, but that's not why I'm doing this little test. My buddy was ripping on big gas hog SUV's, so that was just fuel for the fire.

A few other things to think about when comparing your truck to mine, Mine is a two wheel dive, it has been lowered 2-3, and I run 265 70 16's witch is one sive over stock.

I'll keep you posted
Zach

I wouldn't say mission impossible but anything is possible, keep up posted....:thumbsup:

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My MPG went up right after I installed the K&N and Cat back exhaust. Unfortunately, I like the sound and performance so much that the MPG has gone the other way. :( I can't help it! :Chevy:

Last-Call

Reaction score
The spacer helps the flow of the air into the intake. I got the tune done by a local shop that charges 500 for the dyno tune. I just had it done after hours. I had to by beer and pizza. After the pulleys and fans, plus the cat back I will get the tank close to 25mpg.

malibuster

Reaction score
Switch to Royal Purple motor oil. I know a guy that owns an Expedition (I know, yuk) and he drives from Michigan to Texas every year for Christmas. He said after RP he gained 3 mpg. Don't know how much this is true but the guy is pretty trustworthy.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch to Royal Purple motor oil. I know a guy that owns an Expedition (I know, yuk) and he drives from Michigan to Texas every year for Christmas. He said after RP he gained 3 mpg. Don't know how much this is true but the guy is pretty trustworthy.

I agree, Royal purple it is, I used it on previous vehicles, it increases your gas mileage, reduces engine wear and of course increases HP by 3% :thumbsup:

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The statistics are still out for Royal Purple and other Group II and III synthetics. In fact:

"In July 1996, Consumer Reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular oil."

Royal Purple and others (Motul, Amsoil, etc) that are made from moly and not mineral/dino oil are typically better lubricants which would reduce the amount of friction using a thinner application. Less friction and work by the engine COULD translate to more HP provided to the rear wheel, but not more BHP overall.

As far as 3mpg, that's a huge claim from just switching motor oil. I haven't found any reputable sources corroborating that.

All that being said, I do use synthetic oil in my vehicles (Shell Rotella T). It's just barely more expensive than cheapo oil, but it's been great stuff so far. And it certainly can't hurt.

Just keep in mind that Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Motul are completely different than Mobil One, Castrol Syntec, and Shell Rotella. They're all synthetics, but the moly ones are leaps and bounds better lubricants.

Last-Call

Reaction score
As of right now I am still testing all of this using the cheap oil. Back in school we messed around with the pro's and con's of the cheap oil and the top shelf. We never saw a difference in what we tested.

So after the burn, my tahoe feels like a rocket. I will be putting it on the dyno in the next 2 weeks. Thats the only way to tell anything.

Zach