Polk audio, thoughts, good/bad????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok after talking with some audio philes on here and going down and lisning, I went ahead and ordered the polks. Should be here tommarrow because their only about 3 hours away from my house. But Im thinking I may want to complament them with some subs. I was looking at the Polk enclosed subs. I want to get two Of these. I know polk makes a set up with two subs. But that wont work for me because I want to put them under the rear seat. and there is a hump right in the middle. So im thinking one on each side and the amp in the middle. Now question on the amp. Will one big 6 channel run my 4 speakers and 2 subs??? im looking at this one. Does it have the power and capability to run 4 speakers and 2 subs??? Or am I better off just getting a big 2 channel for the subs and a 4 channel for the speakers. Also Is it possible to hook up amps off the stock HU, then power them from the battery??? I will not be installing these as its way over my head, but Would like to know what to buy and what I need and dont need so I dont get suckered in to 1500 more than I bargened for. Thanks a bunch guys for expanding your tahoe/yukon knowledge to a silverado. Also will I need crossovers and such for these to work. Or will they sound better that way??? What about a sound processor. Back to the crossovers, Do I need 1 for each speaker and sub?? Or just 1, Or do I even need them with my set up??

Sound processor...
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136441DSP/JL-Audio-CL441dsp-CleanSweep.html?tp=6870

crossover
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20603KX2/Kicker-KX2.html?tp=117

amp.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136G6600/JL-Audio-G-Series-G6600.html?tp=115

Subs
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB1212/Polk-Audio-db1212.html?tp=112

Last edited:

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me but doesn't your Component Polk Speakers come with crossover for the speakers?
I suggest you get
1. A good Polk Component system for your front speaker locations.
2. A non amped low RMS set of Polk speakers for your rears.
3. A JL Audio Stealthbox for 07=Up Yukon to go under your center console.
4. A Kicker, Alpine, Pioneer or Polk Audio 3 channel amplifier that can fit under one of your rear seats!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me but doesn't your Component Polk Speakers come with crossover for the speakers?
I suggest you get
1. A good Polk Component system for your front speaker locations.
2. A non amped low RMS set of Polk speakers for your rears.
3. A JL Audio Stealthbox for 07=Up Yukon to go under your center console.
4. A Kicker, Alpine, Pioneer or Polk Audio 3 channel amplifier that can fit under one of your rear seats!

I didnt know thats what those things were. But yea I got component for up front and 2 ways for the rear. But yea for the fronts I got MM 6501 speakers. good set??

So what your saying is dont amp the rears, just the front and subs??? BTW, this is for the silverado not the yukon. But trust me, if i like what I here, the yukon is next. I will be installing the speakers, just not the amp and subs.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh whops....but yeah your're PA component choice is good, I want to get those when I do ine in the summer.
But yeah its better to just ampthe fronts and get some 2-ways for the rears that are unamped. But there is still a JL stealthbox for you Silverado, just look in the Vehicle specific part of Crutchfield. Trust you're gonna wanna swap the Yukon set after you finish the Silverado.
Oh look i'm coming up on being a "Tahoe Forum Senior Member" through 500 post!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh whops....but yeah your're PA component choice is good, I want to get those when I do ine in the summer.
But yeah its better to just ampthe fronts and get some 2-ways for the rears that are unamped. But there is still a JL stealthbox for you Silverado, just look in the Vehicle specific part of Crutchfield. Trust you're gonna wanna swap the Yukon set after you finish the Silverado.
Oh look i'm coming up on being a "Tahoe Forum Senior Member" through 500 post!

Thanks a bunch man, I will look in to the the stealth box. As I really dont wanna loose the space under that seat. Its funny though, Part of me wants to keep the stock look, and the other part wants to show it off, But common sense tells me then im likly for a breakin then.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are likely for that unless you 5%-15% tint your whole car, then you'll be good!

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright!!!!:lol:

another question while your on. The polk speakers are coming with tweeters. Do I use the stock tweeter location, Or do I put the polk ones someware else. And if I dont use the stock location, Do I unhook the stock tweeters then??

ghostface

Full Access Member
Reaction score

another question while your on. The polk speakers are coming with tweeters. Do I use the stock tweeter location, Or do I put the polk ones someware else. And if I dont use the stock location, Do I unhook the stock tweeters then??

they go in the stock location. i need my order from crutchfield to hurry up and get here.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since im in va beach, their only about 3 hours west. If UPS and FedEx had not taken wensday and thursday off, I would have gotten them wensday. Should get here tommarrow the dude I talked to said. Im excited.

But another question now. Because Im using the factory amp right now. What do I do with the cross over its coming with, and to hook up the tweeter, Do I hook that up to where the stock tweeter is now, Or do I run that to the new speaker somehow??

Thanks a bunch guys as audio is REALLY new to me.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They can go in either the stock location or triangular plastic peice around the mirror area. I think Gambler can be better help for you on that.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can go in either the stock location or triangular plastic peice around the mirror area. I think Gambler can be better help for you on that.

THe sail fin thing??? I like that better as wiring would be easier, but then what do I do about the stock ones, Un hook them or leave them?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the sail fin things, you could unhook the stock tweeters or leave them in if you want. Ask Gambler about what he did to his and how he likes the results.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the sail fin things, you could unhook the stock tweeters or leave them in if you want. Ask Gambler about what he did to his and how he likes the results.

thanks a bunch again man. :D Just tracked them and their out for delivery. I just want UPS to freakin get here. I have new fog lights coming, a new computer, new headlights, more HIDS, and my speakers LOL. They take for ever LOL

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they do take forever. I'm happy cuz I just got my IPCW LED tails in. What are you doing to the fogs?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they do take forever. I'm happy cuz I just got my IPCW LED tails in. What are you doing to the fogs?

those lights i posted... Gunna give it ago. My wallet is alot lighter now, But im exicet about those.

LOL NO!!!! I was kidding. I got projector fogs ordered for the rado. With halos to match the projector headlights I got comming to get me by the next 3 months while the s2000's get retorfitted in there.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I was reading the first half and thinking WOW this guy is out of his mind.