Power Loss, Bad Mpg, Weird Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shaunt23

Reaction score
Hi All!
I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71 currently with 140k miles. Around 3 years ago at approximately 115k miles, the performance changed. (I have always used synthetic oil and 91 octane fuel) Every part of the car is factory stock (except for the muffler, flowmaster)

Car feels sluggish, likes is towing 5 tons or binding... (checked brakes, no binding, no issues)
MPG went from 14-18 down to 12 and is always at 11.9 or 12 now...
can still tow a boat, but not really on an incline and its too much for the car now...
wants to upshift very quickly
sometimes after a full stop, when you start again, it feels like the trans didn't go back to first gear and then kicks and starts...

NO CODES!!

since then I have repaired / replaced the following and still no change:

***everything OE***
spark plugs
spark plug wires
air filter
air mass flow sensor
coolant temp sensor
thermostat
fuel pressure regulator
fuel filter
battery
O2 sensors front and back
Cat and Muffler is completely clean
throttle body (improved response a bit)
injectors
rebuilt trans
put shift kit
rebuilt transfer case

I have taken it to the dealer and a private transmission shop to diagnose the trans, they say it runs fine... i think they are just checking the scanner and since no codes, they say its fine...
I had a compression test done, and the compression was excellent.
The only existing issue there is a small exhaust manifold leak.

any help or ideas with this???

punkdevito

Reaction score
You did everthing I would have done. I was getting 11.8 -12.5mpg. I cleaned my CAI filter, put in a new fuel filter, put in a new PVC valve and cleaned inside of throttle body..

My mpg went up to 13.7mpg.

The last thing to do is check all emissions hoses while vehicle is running. Spray carb cleaner or wd40 around all around to look for bubbles and around intake manifold.