Power steering lag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airplaneman777

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Suburban. I've noticed sometimes when doing turns that require a good amount of turning the wheel (very slow, like when parking), sometimes the power steering lags a little bit. It almost feels like there is no power steering sometimes.

I know the pump is still engine driven, so it doesn't act up when moving. Just at idle making big turns.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, triple7, when I first got my `99, the steering felt strange at low parking-lot speeds. It's the variable steering effort system. On mine, there's a steering position sensor on the column, and an electrical control cable plugged into the bottom of the power steering pump. Gets dirty down there, cleaned everything up, including the connector. Other posts discuss wierd steering problems, solved by replacing that steering position sensor.

Yours is too new for these kinds of problems. Maybe time to flog your dealer again.

They'll probably tell you it's your aftermarket radio...

airplaneman777

Reaction score
haha no kidding. I'm not a fan of that dealership at all. They have surely lost a customer! Ya, the power steering fluid is full. It's usually going from full one side to full other side. When heading to the other side, it feels like there is no power steering anymore! Strange!

Shouldn't be like this, but not a new problem either. I talked to Robbins earlier about it and the mechanic just said to give it gas. Ha! thanks, I should've thought of that!