Power Steering Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoLimitCustoms

Reaction score
I own a 2001 Tahoe LT. My power steering pump recently went out. I purchased a new(remanufactured) pump, and installed that. I bleed the system according to the haynes manual. At an idle, everything seems good, however when I reved it above 1500rpms it made a noise like the bearing in the pump was bad. I assumed that I got a bad pump, so I exchanged it for a new one. The new one does the exact same thing. Did I get two bad pumps, or am I doing something wrong?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be two bad pumps, I know I went through 3 with my mom's maxima before I bought a napa premium reman and it was smooth as butter. Can't really fu*k up a p/s pump install so I'd vote for you getting junk pumps.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How sure are you that it is the power steering pump making all that racket, I know it is indeed possible to get 3 bad reman'ed pumps in a row but maybe it is not that that is making noise right now. Alternator? AC pump? I don't know, just throwing that out there, maybe something else is causing the noise right now!! Good luck!!:thumbsup:

NoLimitCustoms

Reaction score
I am 100% positive that its the power steering... i flushed it, and then there was no noise at all, until I put fluid back in.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
geese for the mount of labour and time it may have been justified to just go and get an oem from the dealership ...hehehe hope yah find a solution :)

NoLimitCustoms

Reaction score
Yeah... Im just gonna drive it for a couple days to see if it gets any better, if not, I am gonna go get an oem... It wasnt cuz the cost, carquest is next door to my work, so I just thought that was easiest, turns out I was wrong.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Im just gonna drive it for a couple days to see if it gets any better, if not, I am gonna go get an oem... It wasnt cuz the cost, carquest is next door to my work, so I just thought that was easiest, turns out I was wrong.

hey we all been down this road once or twice ...were only human heheheh
was the problem actually fixed now?

johnrob10

Reaction score
Fix it?

So did you figure out the problem? Mine is doing the same thing, and I have already changed the PS pump, what should I do next?

avdoc

Reaction score
I had that problem, not on the Tahoe, but it ended up being the rack. I dont remember if these have racks or not. That still shouldnt make noise till you turn anyway, so I dont know. Good luck though.