Predicament.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought my 99 4dr Tahoe in Sept. from a little local dealer near me. Great bunch of guys, really quality service. I have owned the truck for 5 months now, and the truck is turning out to be a bit of a problem. I bought it with 139k miles and im just about to turn over to 145k. In those 5 months I have had the truck serviced about 5 or 6 times, resulting in around $500 in parts & labor, thats about $100/month give or take. I just barely had the check engine light appear last wednesday. It turned out to be an EVAP error. This was the second time the check engine light went off for this, so we replaced the gas cap assembly. No big deal right, the light went away and im on my way. Well just today the check engine light is back on, and im pretty fed up. I played around with the gas cap to try and see if it was that again, but it wasn't. Im going to bring it in tomorrow hopefully, what do you guys think I should do? Ask them to take it back? Fix it and go on my way? Keep in mind im in college, so shelling out extra cash is the last thing I need right now, and if it continues in this pattern then its definitely going to have to go.

Cliffs for the lazy:
-Owned tahoe for 5 months,
-Have already service 5 or 6 times, resulting in $500 in part & labor.
-Had check engine light on last week, fixed it, now its on again.
-Not sure what to do.

inthechateau

Reaction score
Sounds like the prior owner dumped the truck by trading in and your dealer probably got a good deal at the auction clearing house. 5 Months after used truck purchase means it is prabably all on you now. I'd keep the truck and work out the small stuff that pps up. I had to put an engine in mine 14 months after purcase used with 112K on it. The Taho is a very reliable truck unless it has been severely abused and a look at the undercarrage will tell that is the case or not . Seek help here for trouble codes and such, not much you cannot do yor self and save big $$. Most shops will see you comming and see nothing but those $$ signs, they are trying to eat too. Good luck and keep your progress here.

wwwcode

Reaction score
I bought my Tahoe with 104,000 miles on it and around 108,000 my drivers side front wheel bearing went out and then about 2 thousand later the passenger front went out... just make sure you have a trusted mechanic... im fortunate my dad used to own a auto collision shop and made friends with a good private mechanic... one of those risks you take when buying a used vehicle because your also buying their problems...

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that evap code many miles ago. I replaced the charcoal canister and the solenoid switch on the intake that opens and draws vacuum through the canister. End of the light. Also make sure there are no cracks in any of the plastic lines and make sure the sensor on the charcoal canister is plugged in. It's in the driver's side front corner of the engine compartment.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bought a higher mileage truck. Things going wrong is to be expected. I'm not sure how much you paid, but fixing things on a higher mileage truck just comes along with the territory.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah unfortuantely thats the problem buying higher mileage used stuff,i've had my hoe for bout 5 months it has 215000 miles,the 4x4 quit working couple weeks ago,just one of those things,mine has been in family since new,my wifes uncle babied it,the first little noise and whatever and he had it at shop,other than the spot where deer hit it the body is perfect.i am in planning stages of building motor for it,but i got my lay off notice today so i guess that goes on back burner

Sport99

Reaction score
Honestly thats the gamble you take when purchasing a used car, especially with that many miles. Any car with 145K is going to need some maintenance. All in all, $500 in maintenance on a used car isn't bad at all. Bring the truck to an autozone or advance auto and have the CEL scanned. If your truck is still running right then chances are its not something major and can be fixed pretty easily.

Chances are even if you're unhappy they won't take the car back. I've put about $300 into my truck and I've had it about a month. Thats the way it goes when you buy something this old. The only way around it is to spend $$$ and buy something new or almost new with a warranty.