questions about new '07 Tahoe purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finamir

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Great forum and I am in the final stages of researching the 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ before I pull the trigger. I plan to use the Tahoe as my daily driver and envision about 30,000 miles/yr. The Tahoe will obviously be my daily driver and here are my questions:

1. I know the Yukon Denali is an "upscale Tahoe" and has the larger engine. I prefer the styling of the Tahoe LTZ to the Yukon Denali. Does anyone else feel this way and what are some other differences between both cars besides the engine?

2. Is the power from the 5.3L sufficient for most power needs (non-towing)? How is the reliability of this engine?

3. Is a diesel option available or at least in the pipeline? Since Chevy is known for their trucks and has pretty nice diesel engines, I'm somewhat suprised that this option does not exist for the 'hoe.

4. Any recommendations on seating options. Many of the LTZ's I see in the lot have the two captain chairs in the middle. I do not have to lug 8 passengers but was curious what people thought of the captain chairs. My one concern is that there really is not as much room in the back and if I take the back bench out, I will only have a four seater.

5. What is the rear axle 4.10 (GT5) option? When is this useful?

6. Is the chrome appearance pkg std on the LTZ? Most of the LTZs I saw on the lot had chrome side mirror covers but I don't recall seeing chrome tow hooks.

7. Bluetooth. I'm a little surprised this is not available. What aftermarket systems are recommended and most people using?

That's pretty much it for now. Please let me know if there are any other things or options I should def get. Right now I'm looking at a Tahoe LTZ, captain chairs, audio system/nav pkg, and maybe the entertainment pkg.

neweagle

Reaction score
Congrats!

I just bought a Black/Titanium LTZ with every option except the power running boards. Absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!

So far, I've added the chrome tow hooks, installed the LockPick (lets you use the nav while in motion), the facia plate cover for the tow receptacle, the mud flaps, and the K&N intake. As far as your questions:

1. I agree that the Tahoe LTZ looks better than the Yukon Denali, but only if you chrome it out. I also think that 6.2L only comes in 4x4, and doesn't have the MDS feature (4 cylinder mode).

2. The 5.3L seems fine to me, but I've only had it for a month. There's a LOT of GREAT advice about how to get your engine off to a good start. The most useful bit of advice I found was to change your oil after the first 1500 miles or so, and run synthetic oil from that point on.

3. Not sure about diesels

4. I have the same setup that you're looking at. My thought process was that there would be very few times when I actually need a third row, and I could predict when that would happen, i.e. going on a road trip with firends, or when relatives/friends come to visit. So I leave the seats in my house 99% of the time.

5. There's some info on this site about how the gear ratio can figure into your towing ability and gas mileage, so I'd suggest a search.

6. I don't think that the appearance package is standard, and I know that the tow hooks aren't. Ours came with the grill, mirrors, and handles, But I think this varies. Someone else can correct me on this one.

7. I don't use bluetooth in the Tahoe. My wife works for Verizon Wireless, which teamed up with Onstar to allow the Tahoe to be on your family plan. That employee discount sure came in handy there! :)

I think you'll be VERY happy with the fully loaded LTZ. One caution, though, is that it will be tough to add a subwoofer if you find the Bose system lacking in the bass (I do). Thats because most of the aftermarket subs I've seen that are bigger than the 6.5" stock are designed to fit in the center console, but won't if you have the rear entertainment unit. This is because the controls are on the back of the console, and take up too much space to fit a bigger sub in there. Also, the power liftgate mechanism takes up the space in the back where you might normally put an amp. Again, though, there's probably much better advice about this in the forum.

finamir

Reaction score
neweagle,

thanks so much for the advice and post some pics of your car if you haven't already done so. Sounds like it looks amazing. Your post helps a lot. I saw the chrome side mirrors and grill but did not see the tow hooks so I'm assuming it did not have the chrome package. Lockpick sounds like a great mod and I'll do a search on the forum to find out some more info about that.

My last concern is that the car that I currently use for my daily driver is a sports sedan. I know that the Tahoe will not handle like a car but I'm just hoping that the size is not a huge adjustment. I have never had an SUV so this will be an adjustment that I will have to make.

neweagle

Reaction score
neweagle,

thanks so much for the advice and post some pics of your car if you haven't already done so. Sounds like it looks amazing. Your post helps a lot. I saw the chrome side mirrors and grill but did not see the tow hooks so I'm assuming it did not have the chrome package. Lockpick sounds like a great mod and I'll do a search on the forum to find out some more info about that.

My last concern is that the car that I currently use for my daily driver is a sports sedan. I know that the Tahoe will not handle like a car but I'm just hoping that the size is not a huge adjustment. I have never had an SUV so this will be an adjustment that I will have to make.

There will be adjustments, some obvious & some not. In general, the biggest adjustment is the cost of ownership. In no particular order:

1) The LTZ rides AWESOME! We moved my wife from a 99 Explorer Sport to the LTZ, and it's no comparison. I drive a Ford Five Hundred, and the LTZ is smoother by far.

2) Get ready to use the backup camera ALOT! We back into our garage, and we actually painted a line on the floor that we use -- middle of the screen = middle of the garage. Also, the retractavle mirrors get used a lot as well. In addition to the line, we painted a big black square with yellow letters that says "RETRACT MIRRORS." It hits the screen as your backing in when the mirrors are about two feet away from hitting the graage door jam.

3) Not to be too obvious, but get ready to shell out for gas. I keep a VERY detailed spreadsheet for our LTZ, which details everything from mileage, gas, upkeep, etc. After about 2000 miles and 28 days, were averaging a little over 14 MPG. We're filling up about every four days or so, at $60 per tank. We've never hit the highway yet, but on days here in Atlanta when we had to drive a bunch on the highway, we'll get 18 MPG+. If you have a birthday or other occasion coming up, you may want to ask for some gas gift cards. Seriously, we did that for our anniversary, since we were getting the LTZ in a few weeks. Our first 5 tanks were free! :thumbsup:

4) A synthetic oil change and rotation at Jiffy Lube runs about $100 after taxes. If you plan on doing a change at 1,500 miles, then every 7500 miles thereafter, build that in as well. Also, the tires will last about 60,000 miles of normal driving (at least that's the warranty on the Bridgestone site). For us, that means we'll plan on replacing them sometime in 2009.

5) Yes, people do look at the car when you're on the road. It's SHARP! I personally know three Tahoe owners who bought 05 & 06 models who wish they'd waited. This taught me a fundamental lesson about car buying: make sure you know when the next redesign is. If it's within two years, I'll hold off, or get a used one so that I can afford the redesign if I like it enough. FYI, the next redesign of the Tahoe is in 2010.

6) Here's an obvious one: since you drive a sports sedan, you're used to things like acceleration, short braking distances, handling in turns, etc. Well, you'll be giving up those things relative to a sports sedan. Not to say the LTZ is bad, but for your safety as you start to drive it, take it easy off the line, don't hit those curves too fast, and slow down early. Personally, I think the LTZ is pretty nimble, but it's still a big SUV. And the luxury interior, looks, sense of safety, comfort, and envy from friends & family is worth it! :D

7) I don't know if you are a woman or will be sharing drving time with one, but one of my wife's peeves is that if she's not careful, it can be . . . umm . . let's just say "revealing" . . . when she's getting out of the and stepping down.

8) If you parking in a public garage on a regular basis, i.e. mass transit, shopping malls, etc, pay attention to the Tahoes that may be in there, and how close they come to the ceiling. When you're in a car it's no big deal, but you'd be amazed at the various ceiling heights that are out there. And plan on freaking out a little when you first drive into a garage that's about 6'5" or so. That's a couple of inches of room for the LTZ, but the first time you drive in there, you'll want to duck (if you REALLY want a thrill, do it with the sun roof open)!:ack:

9) You probably guessed that I'm very Type A when it comes to tracking and projecting our expenses for the car. We plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, and in that time, the newness will wear off, as the car shows it's age down the road. The more you plan, the less surprises for you, which enhances the ownership experience.

10) NOW is a GREAT time to go after a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. The 2008s are rolling off the line in Wisconsin now, so dealers are ready to move the 2007s off the lots. MSRP for a loaded LTZ runs around $50k, and $7k off of MSRP is a reasonable expectation. Let me know how your buying process goes. I learned a lot as I researched for a few months before pulling the trigger, and I'm glad I did.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Hey Guys,

Great forum and I am in the final stages of researching the 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ before I pull the trigger. I plan to use the Tahoe as my daily driver and envision about 30,000 miles/yr. The Tahoe will obviously be my daily driver and here are my questions:

1. I know the Yukon Denali is an "upscale Tahoe" and has the larger engine. I prefer the styling of the Tahoe LTZ to the Yukon Denali. Does anyone else feel this way and what are some other differences between both cars besides the engine?

2. Is the power from the 5.3L sufficient for most power needs (non-towing)? How is the reliability of this engine?

3. Is a diesel option available or at least in the pipeline? Since Chevy is known for their trucks and has pretty nice diesel engines, I'm somewhat suprised that this option does not exist for the 'hoe.

4. Any recommendations on seating options. Many of the LTZ's I see in the lot have the two captain chairs in the middle. I do not have to lug 8 passengers but was curious what people thought of the captain chairs. My one concern is that there really is not as much room in the back and if I take the back bench out, I will only have a four seater.

5. What is the rear axle 4.10 (GT5) option? When is this useful?

6. Is the chrome appearance pkg std on the LTZ? Most of the LTZs I saw on the lot had chrome side mirror covers but I don't recall seeing chrome tow hooks.

7. Bluetooth. I'm a little surprised this is not available. What aftermarket systems are recommended and most people using?

That's pretty much it for now. Please let me know if there are any other things or options I should def get. Right now I'm looking at a Tahoe LTZ, captain chairs, audio system/nav pkg, and maybe the entertainment pkg.
I would like to say welcome to the forums and you should expect about 400,000 miles from a GM truck as long as you take care of it.

Karman

Reaction score
I have had my Yukon one year now, 12000+ miles on it. Average 18+ MPG on normal driving with towing rear end ratio. But never haul anything. I like the captain chairs in the middle. They are very comfortable passengers say. I have bluetooth in my wife's Infiniti and really like it. Works very well. I tried the Motorola Bluetooth kit in the Yukon and find the noise level driving causes some distortion to listeners. ( Have razr). DVD palyer is a must if you take grandkids on a trip anywhere. Only thing I don't like is the 2 rear third seats when I have to reinstall them. They are heavy and rear bumper means you have to really lift them up to get into back end. Really would have liked to fold flat. I am going to look at the new Acadia this fall. Have heard from used car salesman that they give less trade-in value on a Denali than a regular model.

finamir

Reaction score
Wow, this is fantastic. Thank you neweagle and also yo Laptop Gamer for the well wishes. Funny, I also keep a very detailed log off my car expenses including a detailed fuel log. I will definitely keep you posted on how the buying process goes. BTW, I love #7 below. I showed that to my wife who is 5'3" and she got a good kick out of it. Thanks

There will be adjustments, some obvious & some not. In general, the biggest adjustment is the cost of ownership. In no particular order:

1) The LTZ rides AWESOME! We moved my wife from a 99 Explorer Sport to the LTZ, and it's no comparison. I drive a Ford Five Hundred, and the LTZ is smoother by far.

2) Get ready to use the backup camera ALOT! We back into our garage, and we actually painted a line on the floor that we use -- middle of the screen = middle of the garage. Also, the retractavle mirrors get used a lot as well. In addition to the line, we painted a big black square with yellow letters that says "RETRACT MIRRORS." It hits the screen as your backing in when the mirrors are about two feet away from hitting the graage door jam.

3) Not to be too obvious, but get ready to shell out for gas. I keep a VERY detailed spreadsheet for our LTZ, which details everything from mileage, gas, upkeep, etc. After about 2000 miles and 28 days, were averaging a little over 14 MPG. We're filling up about every four days or so, at $60 per tank. We've never hit the highway yet, but on days here in Atlanta when we had to drive a bunch on the highway, we'll get 18 MPG+. If you have a birthday or other occasion coming up, you may want to ask for some gas gift cards. Seriously, we did that for our anniversary, since we were getting the LTZ in a few weeks. Our first 5 tanks were free! :thumbsup:

4) A synthetic oil change and rotation at Jiffy Lube runs about $100 after taxes. If you plan on doing a change at 1,500 miles, then every 7500 miles thereafter, build that in as well. Also, the tires will last about 60,000 miles of normal driving (at least that's the warranty on the Bridgestone site). For us, that means we'll plan on replacing them sometime in 2009.

5) Yes, people do look at the car when you're on the road. It's SHARP! I personally know three Tahoe owners who bought 05 & 06 models who wish they'd waited. This taught me a fundamental lesson about car buying: make sure you know when the next redesign is. If it's within two years, I'll hold off, or get a used one so that I can afford the redesign if I like it enough. FYI, the next redesign of the Tahoe is in 2010.

6) Here's an obvious one: since you drive a sports sedan, you're used to things like acceleration, short braking distances, handling in turns, etc. Well, you'll be giving up those things relative to a sports sedan. Not to say the LTZ is bad, but for your safety as you start to drive it, take it easy off the line, don't hit those curves too fast, and slow down early. Personally, I think the LTZ is pretty nimble, but it's still a big SUV. And the luxury interior, looks, sense of safety, comfort, and envy from friends & family is worth it! :D

7) I don't know if you are a woman or will be sharing drving time with one, but one of my wife's peeves is that if she's not careful, it can be . . . umm . . let's just say "revealing" . . . when she's getting out of the and stepping down.

8) If you parking in a public garage on a regular basis, i.e. mass transit, shopping malls, etc, pay attention to the Tahoes that may be in there, and how close they come to the ceiling. When you're in a car it's no big deal, but you'd be amazed at the various ceiling heights that are out there. And plan on freaking out a little when you first drive into a garage that's about 6'5" or so. That's a couple of inches of room for the LTZ, but the first time you drive in there, you'll want to duck (if you REALLY want a thrill, do it with the sun roof open)!:ack:

9) You probably guessed that I'm very Type A when it comes to tracking and projecting our expenses for the car. We plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, and in that time, the newness will wear off, as the car shows it's age down the road. The more you plan, the less surprises for you, which enhances the ownership experience.

10) NOW is a GREAT time to go after a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. The 2008s are rolling off the line in Wisconsin now, so dealers are ready to move the 2007s off the lots. MSRP for a loaded LTZ runs around $50k, and $7k off of MSRP is a reasonable expectation. Let me know how your buying process goes. I learned a lot as I researched for a few months before pulling the trigger, and I'm glad I did.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just two things to add....

Everyone has give great advise....try to get $8000 off MSRP of a fully loaded LTZ (I got $8100 off without runroof......)...the 3.73 rear end really MOVES...I am shocked at how quick such a big vehicle can be.....you punch it and IT MOVES!!

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has give great advise....try to get $8000 off MSRP of a fully loaded LTZ (I got $8100 off without runroof......)...the 3.73 rear end really MOVES...I am shocked at how quick such a big vehicle can be.....you punch it and IT MOVES!!

Wow... $8K off MSRP.... that's awesome. I still see Tahoes with fully loaded LTZ for $50K!!!

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...

Wow... $8K off MSRP.... that's awesome. I still see Tahoes with fully loaded LTZ for $50K!!!

MSRP for an LTZ will probably be between $49K and $51K - take $8000 off that + TTL.....they come off more the more it costs them to have it sitting on the lot.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterda at a dealer I saw an LTZ for $50K but it didn't have any concession sign, what so ever. If it had a $8K off MSRP I would probably be doing the paper work.

martinr77

Reaction score
I'm ready to order a 2008 Tahoe or Denali (I have a GMS certificate so price will be good on a 08 and 08 will be worth more in 2-3 years) - leaning towards a Denali right now for the 6 speed trans and extra hp/torque. All my research tells me the Denali is worth more in 2-3 years on a trade than a Tahoe - I just read Karman's note below 'Have heard from used car salesman that they give less trade-in value on a Denali than a regular model' which is just the opposite of what my research tells me. Interesting. I do like the looks of the Tahoe LTZ 4x4 with chrome pkg better, but I keep coming back to the 6 speed and 6.2 motor. As soon as I buy a 2008, in 2009 they will have a 6 speed in the Tahoe....the way my luck runs! 2008 has a new Denali color, Dark Slate Metallic which looks nice - I will not have a black SUV in Scottsdale, AZ! I love black, but not here.

One other note - Karman also says he avg's 18 mpg with the 'towing rear end'.....are you referring to the 4.10? Information on this site leans towards the 4.10 is a better choice for mileage due to it allows the 'mode 4' to kick in more than the 3.73 at highway speeds. Any further thoughts?

Great site by the way - I belong to the Corvette Forum (Rons65) and just found this site as I search for my new 2008 SUV. Thanks, Ron

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although enough being wiritten here already I feel that some comments still could be helpful.

Fuel milage is very good for tat size of SUV but that also depends from rig to rig. I am getting close to 20 mpg with 60 % higway gently driving. This is for my 07 'burb. So you 'hoe owners should get even a bit more than that.

If you switch to synthetic oil it will be a plus but does it pay off? I doubt.

Myself I was not sure in getting a new 07 model. Normally you shouldn't buy a first year's model of any car, not even a second year for US brands. Luckywise I followed this rule with my Ford F-250. The big GM SUVs, however, seem to be flawless so far. This is why I went with the 'burb and even took delivery of an 07 Yukon XL Denali. Next redesign is NOT in 2010. There will be some refreshing smaller changes, though. Next major redesign should be around 2013.

Room is limited even for the size of the SUV. Consider the XL or Suburban even if the Tahoe looks better. As I mentioned in another post it is ridiculous that you cannot move the third row bench in order to get more luggage capacity or 3rd row leg room. Even with the 'burb is is cramped. I do not want to imagine myself in a 3rd row 'hoe.

Hope this helps.

Jim

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt....

Yesterda at a dealer I saw an LTZ for $50K but it didn't have any concession sign, what so ever. If it had a $8K off MSRP I would probably be doing the paper work.

You will ever see an LTZ with a 'red tag' that says '$8000 off!!'...and if you do, make sure you read all the fine print because you will probably have to qualify for every discount in the book (which most likely you will not)...if you want an LTZ at $8000 off MSRP, you are going to have to negotiate (probably with the sales manager like it ended up being in my case) and if they won't do it, drive down the street to the next dealer and start negotiations at where the last dealer left off...

Greenage

Reaction score
I'm ready to order a 2008 Tahoe or Denali (I have a GMS certificate so price will be good on a 08 and 08 will be worth more in 2-3 years) - leaning towards a Denali right now for the 6 speed trans and extra hp/torque. All my research tells me the Denali is worth more in 2-3 years on a trade than a Tahoe - I just read Karman's note below 'Have heard from used car salesman that they give less trade-in value on a Denali than a regular model' which is just the opposite of what my research tells me. Interesting. I do like the looks of the Tahoe LTZ 4x4 with chrome pkg better, but I keep coming back to the 6 speed and 6.2 motor. As soon as I buy a 2008, in 2009 they will have a 6 speed in the Tahoe....the way my luck runs! 2008 has a new Denali color, Dark Slate Metallic which looks nice - I will not have a black SUV in Scottsdale, AZ! I love black, but not here.

One other note - Karman also says he avg's 18 mpg with the 'towing rear end'.....are you referring to the 4.10? Information on this site leans towards the 4.10 is a better choice for mileage due to it allows the 'mode 4' to kick in more than the 3.73 at highway speeds. Any further thoughts?

Great site by the way - I belong to the Corvette Forum (Rons65) and just found this site as I search for my new 2008 SUV. Thanks, Ron

Remember, the 6.2 in the Denali does NOT have the Active Fuel Management system. It runs on all 8 cylinders all of the time. It also comes only with the 4.10 rear. We've only had ours a couple of weeks, but so far we are right around 12.5-13mpg in town. Have not had it out on the highway enough to get a good reading on this.

As far as down the road, the Denali should have a slightly higher trade in/resale value, but remember, you will pay more for it as well......

You just need to drive both and see what you like. I was up in the air on whether I liked the looks of the Suburban or Denali better, but after driving the Denali, I was swayed by the 6.2 Liter!!!!:D

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will ever see an LTZ with a 'red tag' that says '$8000 off!!'...and if you do, make sure you read all the fine print because you will probably have to qualify for every discount in the book (which most likely you will not)...if you want an LTZ at $8000 off MSRP, you are going to have to negotiate (probably with the sales manager like it ended up being in my case) and if they won't do it, drive down the street to the next dealer and start negotiations at where the last dealer left off...

Very true....

I"m trying to lease one for 36 months like I mention before I usually don't stay with vehicles more than 3-5 years. That's just me...

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding about Greenage message that's another thing that hesitates me is the 6.2Liter Denali. The only thing is AWD and I want 2WD...

Greenage

Reaction score
Regarding about Greenage message that's another thing that hesitates me is the 6.2Liter Denali. The only thing is AWD and I want 2WD...

I agree. I would much rather be able to push a button to put it in
4WD! Although this will help with having to instruct the wife on what to do when it snows! She won't have to ask me any more about what she is supposed to do!!!LOL