Questions: Supercharger and electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) My heated seats don't work. I checked both fuse boxes under the dash and in the hood. Next step?

2) I'm looking for a Supercharger. I found Vortech one on this site brand new...too steep for me. ANy other suggestions? Cheaper to piece a kit? I can a paxton centrifugal s/c for $150 and build from there?

3) I would like to equip my truck with a narrowband a/f gauge...where would I tap in to? On my DSM we hook it up to ECU "wire #18" Anyone show me a diagram and point the number to me do this?

4) My tahoe came without the spare tire holder...Can someone show me a pic of what it looks like so when I go junkyard hunting I know what exactly to get. Right now its a wire string holding onto a metal bracket.

Jason

Also, my ABS light went on and it was due to a bad turn signal switch. I did some searching and I found that the turn signal switch from a 99 S10 will work. ONE its CHEAPER and TWO it has upgraded cruise control. Mine you had accelerate it viz the pedal and hit the button again to increase Cruising MPH speed. The S10 you just push the putton fwd till you reach desired speed.

Here is the link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330278960314&viewitem=

$66 compared to $100

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
superchargers come in kit for reason.injectors.reflash the ecm.new brackets.etc. Remember you get what you pay for. Its cheaper to get the kit than having to replace a blown motor. As for the seats did you check to see if they are plugged in or maybe the harness is messed up?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jason, welcome to the forum.

I also have no heated seats, so we have something in common. I hafta get to looking around for that fuse... Have you heard the sizzling sound from your rear seats at all? I have.

I shopped that vortech supercharger too. 4300$ ouch.
4GM218-050SQ is the number I found at Jegs. Wieand makes one, but I didnt go all the way into the applications to see if its a direct fit for our year. its on ebay for 1999$
If you wait until tonight, Del will show up and give a schooling on boost applications and where to pick up the voltage signal for the AFM gauge. Whippled2Dr
why is the wideband better?
Pete

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the spare tire... it been a while since I actually used mine, but on my year, there is the lowering wire as well, and a metal piece that holds the tire up. the piece is large enough to pull upward on the opening in the wheel, and once lowered, it can be tilted and removed. If your truck is missing the metal piece, you should be able to find it on any chevy FS truck or suburban, I would think. I cant seem to find a pic of it right now. But I will later tonight from home.

I received your PM about the Miller Lite Intake Modification.. it was all a joke really, but I did get 12HP out of it. :D

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear seats are heated too? Didn't know that. I bought the truck with the heated seats not working. What about my mirror, Compass works but not the temperature... So I'm on my own for trouble shooting.

B/c I own a DSM, wideband is better for the sole application of tuning while under F/I. Probably the same as N/A applications. I hate the way my wideband looks in my DSM so Its currently in my glove box. I still have narrowband hooked up b.c I like the "light show", when boost kicks in, it goes haywire. THE LADIES LOVE IT. AUTOMETER COBALT SERIES FTMFW!

As for as tuning applications: There is no way to log it with a pda? Just a predator tuner and other tuners similar to that. I'm not gg crazy on this thing b/c it is my DD. Not a race car or else I would have put a cam in it when I install my PnP heads and TB Spacer. My next upgrade will me a 78mm TB and MSD Coil. (All Via Ebay). When Summer time comes I would like to install my long tube headers (via pacesetter<they are good I had Pacesetter exhaust on my S/C'd 99 Cougar and it sounded great! I don't want shorties...b.c to me those aren't headers. Plus it gives me a chance to get rid of my single exit 3' Gibson exhuast and upgrade to duals. TRUE DUALS ARE MY DREAM but not at $1,000 plus.

I drive my truck 50miles every day (back and fourth to school and this doesn't include booty calls) and it gets BETTER GAS MILEAGE as my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 4.7L (Guess full time AWD does suck). Are there any light cams, that won't mess up idle too much and not really compramise my AVG MPG?

I did see your thread on the MSD ignition. This is also on my to do list the extra 40-50 miles would save me 10-15 bucks. On a scale from 1-10 how hard was it to do it? Step by step write up?

Miller Lite>then all other beers! MY FAV...we got another thing in Common! I guess under the influence you thing you gain an extra 12hp?

My tahoe current mods: Exterior: Black out, Shaved Roof Rack, 00 Caddy Front, Billet Grill, Roll Pan, Chrome Diff Cover, Led Light Bar, Illegal tints<here in NY, Clear Corners, HIDS, Black Calipers, and Black rear Drums (painted)

Interior: Kicker speakers through out, just ordered kick pods, so another four will be installed, Pioneer 6500 7in flip out (waiting to be installed) and 2-12in w7's (waiitng to be installed with 6 farad cap<of corse amps. I installed Blue lights in my doors. Also upgraded my cruise control.

Handling: Bilstein shocks, bell tech lowering kit, Azure 15in rims wrapped in General Grabbers (for the winter).

Performace: Drop in Filter, B&M Shift kit, (Pnp heads, TB Spacer waiting to be installed)

Last edited:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow dude RIGHT ON. then double welcome to the forum. your attitude is great. I have the denali package, so the rears are heated for me, the switch is on the center console, by the rear passengers feet area.

Post up some pics of that bad ride.

I think you melted my brain with all those acronyms. I got them all but DSM.

yeah miller lite... the best beer ever. here's that intake mod.// and where's Del??

Attachments

• lite intake.JPG
    lite intake.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 15

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSM=Diamond Star Motors.
Mitsubishi Eclipse's and Eagle Talon that came stock with Turbo and either 4wd or 2wd.
I own a 95 Eclipse GS-T. So its FWD :( All this power and the best I can do is from a Roll.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, they didn't upload the first time. I'm not a photo whore, but I will get some night pics up.

Attachments

• MINE.jpg
    MINE.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 10
  • MINE 2.jpg
    MINE 2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 10

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soo back on topic (When my heated seats work (cuz its f'n cold in NY and my compass works so I know how F'n cold it is we can indulge in conversations) Lets get down to business:

1) Where can I tap in for a A/F Gauge?
2) Why is the temp part of my Rear View mirror not working, meanwhile my compass does? Is there a sensor that's malfunctioning? If so, where?
3) I'll snap a photo of what I have for my spare tire, so I can resolve that problem.
4) After I check all my connections, from my memory there seems only one harness running into each of the seats with the exception for the power seats. Just hit me> "Check for power from the wire that hooks up to heated seat switch to the harness...etc?"

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum

Just a quick comment on superchargers, from my prospective, you should not consider one unless you are willing to properly address the additional fuel needed. Maybe someone has figured out how to control a stock ECM with a wide band, I don’t know. The tricky part of the programming is matching your particular collection of after market parts to the performance you desire.

Detroit has thousands of software ace’s on staff and a known group of parts they are writing for. Closed loop and open loop is not an issue for them. But, hey, lets not go there unless you get serious about a blower…………….

The wideband meters have come down in price in the past few years, so they are realistic for controlling things.

I ended up going to the Innovate units, for a couple of reasons, they are reasonable on price and you can get replacement O2 sensors from a VW dealer direct.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTS.php

They also provide the “light show” at the same time they display the actual A/F ratio number in the middle off the dial. I have two of the LC1’s, One for the left bank and one for the right bank. One of them is also controlling the Tec3 ECM.

The big deal about the Innovate units, is that you can program the output voltage to match your ECM, using a third party wide band for reference. It’s all pretty cool. Zero to five volt or anything in between. It can make up the difference in “signal ground differences”.

By the by, I shouldn’t mention this, but you can take a shortcut on a blower. (If the stars align and you find the parts for the right price on ebay)

To get it done without ECM problems, a “blow down” carb can replace the injection system and then you can put whatever you want on for a blower. Even though it is pressurized, the venturi affect still works. It is quick and dirty and it is also a step backwards, but it eliminates electronics.

Oh, nice looking truck.......

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you open your hood, you will see a opening near the latch.. the temp sensor is in there. its the only thing up there... behind the grill. below the latch area. it looks like a plug terminator with a round cylinder on it. right in the middle. red arrow,.. its mounted to the grill support bracket. looks like regular temp sensor shaped, but black plastic. see if its there/damaged by the bolt on grill/removed etc.

nice clear markers BTW.

Attachments

• temp sensor location.jpg
    temp sensor location.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Del can you use aftermarket headers with a supercharger, or will they burst?

I kept my stock manifolds, but I sure wouldnt want to put them back on if I went with the supercharger kit.

arkyami

Reaction score
My 99 2 door is getting the Vortech kit on as we speak with a wideband.. Ill tell ya what i think bout the vortech when it is done.. And get pictures :) Got the kit off ebay brand new in box for 2ooo!! big sale!!

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I kept my stock manifolds, but I sure wouldnt want to put them back on if I went with the supercharger kit.

You shouldn't have any issues with aftermarket headers and a supercharger. When I first put my whipple on I had JBA shorties on my truck and they were fine. I now have hooker long tubes without any issues running 9#'s of boost. Those stock manifolds and intermediate pipes before the cats are such a restriction on our OBS trucks.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Most of the opinions floating around regarding headers comes from N/A applications. In all do respect, once you force the air into these slugs, it does not matter all that much what is happening down stream. The exhaust is going to come out if it has to whistle a tune on the way.

Headers are extremely important in the normally aspirated application. Then again, so are heads, cam, and intake and every detail in the path of the air.

The higher the boost, the less affect each minor obstruction has on performance.

I think there is likely to be more resistance in the exhaust at the muffler than anything else.

Keep in mind that the exhaust leave the engine one cylinder at a time, so it is all relative to displacement and how high the boost. If you have 15 psi boost on a 350 ci engine, it is the same as a N/A 700 ci engine, rounding off the decimals for convenience. lol

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 99 2 door is getting the Vortech kit on as we speak with a wideband.. Ill tell ya what i think bout the vortech when it is done.. And get pictures :) Got the kit off ebay brand new in box for 2ooo!! big sale!!

YOU LUCKY MO FO! Was it through a dealer via EBAY or a personal member. Just out of curiosity, what did you type in your search engine! hOW long did you pick itup. I'm pissed. Either way great find! I AM JEALOUS!

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. awesome. is it the Vortec brand?
cause if you found it for 2k thats like, half of the BEST price I found... cripes...wtg.

arkyami

Reaction score
I was just looking at supercharger on ebay..lol.. Thought it was 2 good of a deal to pass up so I called and got info on it.. Only thing it didnt come with was the adapter plate from the air box 2 the fender..not a big deal.. Hopefully i'll get it back today!! Had to replace the ole intake gasket and now switchin 2 the good ole green stuff.. Prolly should of done headers and exhaust first but that will be nex paycheck