Radio Volume

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wongs83

Reaction score
I never thought the volume went loud enough on my 07 Tahoe and now that I subscribed to Onstar and am using the handsfree phone I can tell it definetly isn't load enough. I have to turn the volume up all the way and I still have to struggle to hear it when making a phone call. No I'm not losing my hearing!

Does anyone know if something can be done either by myself or a dealer to increase the max volume on the radio?

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what can be done really...they might be able to change something with the amp....

I checked out an LTZ with navigation and I have to say that I am dissapointed in the audio system.

Before looking at Tahoes, I was looking at H3s and the upgraded Monsoon system in those was VERY nice and the highs were high and the lows were low. Quality sound at high levels too.

<sigh>

What gives? I have never been a Bose fan but this really did not impress me or go nearly loud enough. (I love to crank it). My Jeep Grand Cherokee's Infinity system even sounds a lot better.

I wish GM would have given the Tahoe the Monsoon system since they used in the the H3.

Also, XM sounded great in the H3 but was really lacking in the Tahoe.

Oh well, guess I can always upgrade but wanted to say I too was dissapointed.

Anyone know if there are plans to change the audio system in 2009?

Last edited:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I an thinking of going to a stereo dealer as I like the bose system, but like you said it just isn't loud enough. There has to be some kind of amp replacement or something as the stereo isn't powerful to fill the volume of the vehicle.

Last edited:

wongs83

Reaction score
somewhere in the setup features when you hit the audio button there is the screen where you can adjust treble and bass and there is a button in the lower left that comes on the screen that says "talk" Anyone have any idea on what this is or does? I thought it was something that adjusted the volume when "talking" on the phone, but don't think so

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before looking at Tahoes, I was looking at H3s and the upgraded Monsoon system in those was VERY nice and the highs were high and the lows were low. Quality sound at high levels too.

<sigh>

What gives? I have never been a Bose fan but this really did not impress me or go nearly loud enough.

"No highs, no lows - must be Bose."

:)

bmwman3241

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer had told me that there was a way to increase the volume of the factory bose system in the Denali. They told me they had a guy come every month and he would do the volume hack as well as dvd in motion and other stuff. Unfortunately, when i made an appointment, he stopped showing up and the dealer said they don't know what happened to him. Im guessing their is a way to adjust the volume thru the amp or something?
Id like to know so if anyone finds out keep us posted!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way I see to do it is replace the audio system. Minimally you'll need to add a new amp and front speakers. I'll be replacing my speakers and adding a sub to my Tahoe this summer.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if I get a Tahoe, I will want to replace my system since I am a big audio guy.

That said, I want a "clean" install. I will still need to haul cargo around every now and then so cannot have the amp or subs be external....they would need to be hidden, like the factory system.

Has anyone else done something like this?

I am not a bass head but still want some quality lows....

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I an thinking of going to a stereo dealer a sI like the bose system, but like you said it just isn't loud enough. There has to be some kind of amp replacement or something as the stereo isn't powerful to fill the volume of the vehicle.

yall must have bad systems. mine goes pleanty loud. infact my neighbors compalin that the bass is to loud. ;)

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if I get a Tahoe, I will want to replace my system since I am a big audio guy.

That said, I want a "clean" install. I will still need to haul cargo around every now and then so cannot have the amp or subs be external....they would need to be hidden, like the factory system.

Has anyone else done something like this?

I am not a bass head but still want some quality lows....

I'm planning on sacrificing the storage area in my center console to stow a subwoofer and both amps inside.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on sacrificing the storage area in my center console to stow a subwoofer and both amps inside.

Yes, I thought about that and would probably do it....maybe put a cover over the components so you could still store a couple of items. :)

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I thought about that and would probably do it....maybe put a cover over the components so you could still store a couple of items. :)

That is what i'm planning for the most part. The 2 amps will be forward closer to the dash on the floor, and the sub will take up all but the top couple inches of the storage part. Alternatively there is the JL Audio Stealthbox which is made to fit where I plan to put my amps. It costs a lot ($500), uses a lower quality sub and doesn't solve the amp location problem.

screamin chicken

Reaction score
I am also not happy with the volume of myine either, I am adding a JL with a 10" that will fit under the front console, and a 5 Ch. amp and I am replacing the speakers.

sshepherd

Reaction score
I have the factory Bose and my teenagers think the system rocks. Which I think means good??? I can hear them driving up our street before I can see them.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just listened to two other Tahoes...LTZ and LT3. Both had Nav and the Bose system.

Sorry, both still sounded awful.

Yes, it can get pretty loud but it's not quality....major dissapointment.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the Nav there is a reprogram relative the audio level of the radio.

The Nav radio gives up a little on the audio compared to the non Nav.

The regular Bose system (not Nav) has a lot more adjustability and function choices. They both are not what you would expect of Bose though.

Low volume on Nav radios:

Now, there is an update for Navigation stereo’s that suffer from low volume, this fix can be found in TIS version 2.75 and later, have the dealer install the latest software for the fix. If you turn the volume all the way up and the sound level does not reach an uncomfortable level for a reasonable and prudent adult person, now if you're a real head-banger then it may never reach that level.

What you should do if you are the owner of a 2007 Tahoe with Navigation is during your next stop at the Chevy dealer have the service advisor write a repair order up for "low stereo volume", ask them to make certain that your vehicle has TIS version 2.75 or later and also check for any other software updates that may be available, these are covered under warranty if you tell them a symptom that you have that corresponds to an update.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just listened to two other Tahoes...LTZ and LT3. Both had Nav and the Bose system.

Bose anything is a big pile of crap. GM needs to get with another audio system. A classy ride like a Tahoe needs a better quality audio system, for another $500 it could have some great audio.
I've had $100 audio systems that sounded better than bose.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

boy, they musta gone down hill. mine i can have all the way up and hear a mile away with no distortion. all crystal clear.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bose anything is a big pile of crap. GM needs to get with another audio system. A classy ride like a Tahoe needs a better quality audio system, for another $500 it could have some great audio.
I've had $100 audio systems that sounded better than bose.

i still dont know why people knock bose. i have had polk, harmon/kardon, clarion, infinity, and athena, and to tell you the truth, bose and athena all came out on top, just sound good, and their products last for ever. i have a 6.1 home theatre in my guest room, and a 7.1 athena system in the den and they both sound awsome. bose has some more bass, but both sound nice. now movies are aton better than bose, but trust me bose is better than most out there. i put a 6 speaker infinity in my mustang and it sounds good, but the bose is better IMO. and yes i paid money for that system. twin 10" subs, and those infinity speakers were not cheap. not impressed with it anymore than bose. yall need your ears checked:D