Raising Tow Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, trans cooler, HD shocks, possiblyair bladder in between the rear coil springs, load range E tires. There may be more. What are you looking at towing? What vehicle, 2/4wd?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well those things will definatly make it easier to tow. But Isnt the raiting still the same??? Which can be a libility issue, right??

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a travel trailer sometime in the future and one of the biggest considerations is trailer weight.
We're thinking about doing the same thing. Mine is an '03 Z-71.

I'm not concerned about increasing the towing rating. I'm just wondering about others' experiences with travel trailers.

The style we really want (fewer beds, with a "sitting room" with two easy chairs in the very back end), seems to be available only in 27-foot models. The empty weights vary from 4900 to 6000 pounds. Hitch weights vary from 500 to nearly 800 pounds. And cargo capacities range from as low as 1300 pounds up to nearly 4000 pounds. Pick the wrong one and load it up, and we could easily go over the truck's ratings.

Funny, but for the ones we have looked at, the lightest ones have the heaviest hitch weights. That seems goofy, but that's what the spec charts show.

Anyway, I'd like to read some people's experiences pulling travel trailers of varying lengths with a Tahoe (not a Suburban or Yukon XL).

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You'll be able to tow heavier loads easier with some deeper gears. Swapping to 3.73 or 4.10 will help a lot. Lower gears (higher ratio) will help relieve some stress from the rest of the driveline, especially the transmission. Making sure the trans stays cool is really important while towing. Depending on your load, I'd add another aftermarket trans cooler to the stock one.
Another thing I would consider if towing a large travel trailer would be the brakes, especially if you plan to tow in hilly areas. If nothing else, at least a set of pads that grab better and don't fade as quickly when hot.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of weight and how often? You may want to consider upgrading to a 2500 suburban if you plan to tow quite a bit, the bigger axles and leaf spring rear will tow much safer than the 4link coils in the 1/2 ton trucks. I recently installed some air helper bags on my denali and it drastically improved handling and sway control, check em out they may be your best option if you want to keep the truck and occasionally pull some decent weight
IMG_0280.jpg

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=15188

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is probably a reason for the towing load set på GM. I wouldn't mess around too much with this. My 04 Hoe can tow 3450kg/7606lbs but that is set by DMV in Norway based on local roules and regulations and may differ from the original.

tahoeman960208

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a small lift and bigger tires will add a good amount of weight which will help with stability. Upgraded gears will give you the acceleration you need on the highway. Lockers will also help too. I don't know if this would help but maybe some welded on cross members to the hitch. Throw on some extendable extra-large mirrors and a brake controller and your set.

rockman20

Reaction score
I am a member on a 3500HD forum as well and this topic comes up A LOT. Changing tow capacity really isn't an option. Even if you upgrade springs, tires, hitch, brakes, etc. Get into an accident, kill someone, have it proven that you were over what the recommended vehicle rating is, and you are done. Mods or not.

Safest thing to do is tow within the limits set on the truck. If you want to tow bigger, you need to buy bigger. Coils are not great for towing. Transmission needs extra cooling. Higher load range tire. Deeper gears (and don't forget if it is 4WD you now need to change the front gearing also). Air bags are a huge benefit. Nice brake controller and a trailer with good working brakes is a must. Keep in mind that your rear axle needs to carry this weight to. Is it built strong enough not to snap in half?

If you are staying within the confined limits of the truck, then bigger brakes, larger transmission cooler, air bags, load distribution hitch, trailer brakes, and controller will make your travels a lot safer and less stressful.

If you are going over the limits, buy bigger. Not only are you in a safer position, but so is everyone else and their family who share the roads with you. I have a girlfriend and 3 boys. Overweighted trucks are just as scary as drunk drivers. Please keep us in mind.

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huge +1, should anything happen the lawyers will find you man. And believe me they will look at EVERYTHING to get their $$$$.

m@76

Reaction score
I have an 02 LT with autoride and tow a 30' boat with total trailer weight around 8,000 with gear and fuel. The air shocks are great with the leveling. I dont have so much of a power issue as I do with a sway problem. More tongue weight helps, but with the short wheelbase sway will be your biggest problem (braking aside). And trust me, and gets scary! When it starts swaying, and it will, slowly apply the brakes and as long as your trailer has brakes, it will stop. You will be lucky if you can get over 50 mph without sway.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of weight and how often? You may want to consider upgrading to a 2500 suburban if you plan to tow quite a bit, the bigger axles and leaf spring rear will tow much safer than the 4link coils in the 1/2 ton trucks. I recently installed some air helper bags on my denali and it drastically improved handling and sway control, check em out they may be your best option if you want to keep the truck and occasionally pull some decent weight
IMG_0280.jpg

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=15188

Why are your swaybar end links bent?