Really Bad Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAUDILTZTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a brand new 08 Tahoe and now it got about 1300 miles and i am getting really bad gas mileage, i am getting about 10.6 MPG. Why is that?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does gas cost over there in Saudi Arabia anyway, about 50 cents a tank? Does it have Active Fuel Management? I could see Chevy skipping that feature when destined for the Middle East... Other than that, a lot would depend on your driving habits, any extra and non-aerodynamic weight added (like your bull bar/brush guard, though barely a difference), low tire inflation (do you lower the pressure to drive the sand? I would). You're only about 4 or 5 mpg below average I think, but it's possible that there could be a malfunction in the engine parameters, but you would probably notice a decrease in performance too. Did you add larger wheels or tires? Using low quality gas (don't see how you could)? Need to clean the sand out of your air filter? All things to consider... Also, it should improve a good bit after it's broken in, which it should be by now.

SAUDILTZTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does gas cost over there in Saudi Arabia anyway, about 50 cents a tank? Does it have Active Fuel Management? I could see Chevy skipping that feature when destined for the Middle East... Other than that, a lot would depend on your driving habits, any extra and non-aerodynamic weight added (like your bull bar/brush guard, though barely a difference), low tire inflation (do you lower the pressure to drive the sand? I would). You're only about 4 or 5 mpg below average I think, but it's possible that there could be a malfunction in the engine parameters, but you would probably notice a decrease in performance too. Did you add larger wheels or tires? Using low quality gas (don't see how you could)? Need to clean the sand out of your air filter? All things to consider... Also, it should improve a good bit after it's broken in, which it should be by now.

91 is our lowest grade for about 50 cents a gallon. It does have the active fuel management and my driving habits is normal no WOT runs at all.

The car is completely stock other than the only two deference between the our Tahoes and the Us Tahoes are wider tires and horse power rating is higher.

Performance is good but is sucks in about 105 and up degrees heat.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well hell no

well hell no with 91 octane at .50 cents a gallon why on earth would you whant a hybrid

THAT SUCKS!!!!!!

WE are paying like $4.00 a gallon for 87 octane

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noooo you did not say ".50gal". you must have mistyped(a few times) the numbers.:ack:

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could your new Tahoe by chance be one of the few with the 6.2 liter engines? That would definately cause it to suck down more.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running the A/C on high? That could easily clip a few mpg.

SAUDILTZTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could your new Tahoe by chance be one of the few with the 6.2 liter engines? That would definately cause it to suck down more.

No it's not, but i wish it was. I know it's 5.3 cause it does have the AFM and it's 4X4. My understanding is that all the 08 tahoes with 6.2 are 4X2 and none made it the middle east.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try calculating your mileage yourself for a while. If your calculations come out to be what the DIC is saying, then yes, that mileage is a bit lousier then what it should be getting. If your calculations are much better then your DIC, then something is still not workin properly.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have different than stock tires put on?
Maybe the computer is set for a different size tire than the ones that are on.

SAUDILTZTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try calculating your mileage yourself for a while. If your calculations come out to be what the DIC is saying, then yes, that mileage is a bit lousier then what it should be getting. If your calculations are much better then your DIC, then something is still not workin properly.

That's what i am thinking of doing on my next fill up