Rear End Carrier Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strd27

Reaction score
Hello I am new here I did a search and I found nothing I am sure it has been kicked around but I did not see it. So here goes my question I have a 1996 chev tahoe with 350/auto tranny/ 4X4 and stock rear end. My problem is that chev made a junk carrier with not enough meat to handle the normal every day use. So now I am up aginst $$$$ I can remove the asm and have it rebuilt if the case has not been damaged or I can go to the junk yard and pick up the same headach I have now OR is there a different year or something that is a direct replacement for the rear end I have now???

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6-lug 14 bolt rear end would be the better replacement for the 10-bolt rear end. may be able to find one at the junk yard.

my stock rear end had 168,000 miles on it under "normal" daily crap and towing and never skipped a beat, gears came out looking brand new. just saying, just because yours crapped out doesn't make them junk. (yes they should have been built a little beefier, or they should have put the 14 bolt in all of them, but still)

strd27

Reaction score
Thank you I will look in the junk yards tomorrow and it sound like you had great luck with your rear end this will be the 7th chev tahoe rear ends that I have replaced not mine all customers. Mine is 1st on the rear end replacement