Rear Parking Brake Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverspurs23

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe and replaced my rear brakes. Is there any way to adjust the parking brakes without using a vernier caliper?

sasquatch

Reaction score
i`m not sure if it`s the same as on my 05 yukon but from what i remember the parking brake adjusts itself when you apply them.

Dynamo

Reaction score
According to the service manual I have the rotor to shoe clearance is only 0.026". If I were doing it without a set of calipers I would adjust the shoe to the point that the rotor just barely slips over it. Seems like it would be close enough for gov't work.

The same manual says to then adjust the parking brake pedal by verifying the equalizer nut is tightened to 31ft.lb. and then fully push & release the parking brake 3 times.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI.. the e-brake design in these trucks blows, including mine

silverspurs23

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Guess I will give Dynamo's suggestion a try because it might be closee enough for the govt work. And when they blow out again, I will just use chocks for the wheels (LOL).