Remote start problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diffrnt

Reaction score
My remote start (Viper 5701) is not working quite right. Sometimes it will start my truck and other times it won’t. I can hear the fuel pump kick in when I push the button but the starter doesn’t engage all of the time. If anyone has some suggestions, I am all ears.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loose starter wire?
does it try to start and not start, or just no starter at all?
mine wont start sometimes because the starter doesnt stay on long enough and the tach wire isnt hooked up, so it doesnt know to start it again on its own.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tack wire is the way to go. Some modules you can increment the crank time by a second or 2. Should also have adjustable run time…….

diffrnt

Reaction score
Somtimes it will start with no problem. But other times, it just seems like the signal is not getting to the starter.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tack wire is the way to go. Some modules you can increment the crank time by a second or 2. Should also have adjustable run time…….

if your refering to me i know all this already. i just dont care enough to fix it as it only happens if i dont start the truck for a few days.

If the signals not getting to the starter i would assume the starter wire is the culprit

diffrnt

Reaction score
if your refering to me i know all this already. i just dont care enough to fix it as it only happens if i dont start the truck for a few days.

If the signals not getting to the starter i would assume the starter wire is the culprit

Thanks. I will take a look at it.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your refering to me i know all this already. i just dont care enough to fix it

Actually I was referring to the person that asked the question, the one that is all ears. J I was also trying to reconfirm what you said about the tach wire because you are correct... BTW it’s referring. :cheers:

seems like the signal is not getting to the starter
Does this mean the truck doesn’t even crank? Do you get any light flash confirmation that the truck has actually received the signal?

Last edited:

diffrnt

Reaction score
The truck receives the signal and confirms it by flashing the lights and the remote also confirms it. Oh yeah, the trucks starts with the key.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you been by the truck when it happens? does the starter crank or not? if it cranks, at that point its the tach wires job to let the alarm know the truck is on. if the wires not hooked up, the alarm will think the trucks running. if it is hooked up, it will attempt to start the truck again.

diffrnt

Reaction score
I have been right next to the truck. I can hear the electronics come on, like the radio and other things, but the starter never engages. The funny thing about it is it use to work just fine. I don't know what happen.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
did you install this alarm? it sounds like it is set up with out the tack wire... do you have the neutral safety switch on? it is a toggle switch or is the black/white wire grounded?... this alarm does not have a real starter wire.. it has a starter in and a starter out.. with a on board relay for the starter.. so i dont think it is the starter wire if the truck starts with the key...

diffrnt

Reaction score
did you install this alarm? it sounds like it is set up with out the tack wire... do you have the neutral safety switch on? it is a toggle switch or is the black/white wire grounded?... this alarm does not have a real starter wire.. it has a starter in and a starter out.. with a on board relay for the starter.. so i dont think it is the starter wire if the truck starts with the key...

I had a car audio shop install it. I was trying to see if it was something kind of easy that I could take a look at. Looks like I'll be running it by the shop so they can take a look at it.

Oneradride, thanks for that pdf. It will come in handy.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
... check the connection at the yellow crank/starter wire.
The starter circuit is wired in series through the rs system. The starter wire is cut in half with the grn wire from the alarm going to the key side and the purple wire going to the starter side. If it was a bad connection, the truck would have problems starting with the key also.

did you install this alarm? it sounds like it is set up with out the tack wire... do you have the neutral safety switch on?..
An open circuit signal from the tach and neutral safety wires won't keep just the starter circuit from activating. These wires will keep all the RS circuits from powering up, including acc and ign circuits, not just the starter circuit.

On the 5701 unit, the only time all other circuits activate w/o the starter activating is when the rs override switch is off. This is a new feature on the 5701. Unlike previous models, the toggle plugs into the unit rather than splicing to the blk/wht neutral safety switch wire and ground. So now you have a neutral safety switch wire that needs to see ground and a seperate safety shutdown toggle switch. Make sure this switch is in the ON position. Depending on where it's installed, you might have accidentally been kicking it on/off w/o realizing it.

diffrnt

Reaction score
I have never noticed a switch. I will have to look for that and see if that is the problem.