Replacing Instrument Cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonxl1500

Reaction score
My Cluster went out and I can get one a junk yard off a 03. My question is the odometer reading. Right now I have 180K on my odometer and the one from the junk yard has 107K. Will my original 180K display or the 107K? Is there a tamper light etc. On my BMW the pixels went out and eventually the dealership did replace part, I paid labor. But into looking into it, I was going to do it if they backed out, there is a tamper light if the vin on the odometer and the vin on computer dont match, as well as milage.
Thanks

yukonxl1500

Reaction score
Thank you, I just learned that 03 and beyond have to be programed to match vin. Since mine is a 2000, if I was to replace it with one from a 00-02 would it still need programing?

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
My guess is that it would have to be reprogrammed. I would look into getting an Escalade or Denali cluster if I were you. You can get them off of Ebay for $200-300. They have the transmission temperature gauge in them and it's a simple plug and play procedure other than getting your VIN/mileage programmed in. That's definately the route I'll be taking if my cluster acts up!

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it would have to be reprogrammed. I would look into getting an Escalade or Denali cluster if I were you. You can get them off of Ebay for $200-300. They have the transmission temperature gauge in them and it's a simple plug and play procedure other than getting your VIN/mileage programmed in. That's definately the route I'll be taking if my cluster acts up!

Would you even need to get it reprogrammed if you didn't want to? I mean as long as you documented what it was before so you would know the true mileage, then if you ever sold it just document to the buyer that the odo was off and by how much what would be the problem?

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you even need to get it reprogrammed if you didn't want to? I mean as long as you documented what it was before so you would know the true mileage, then if you ever sold it just document to the buyer that the odo was off and by how much what would be the problem?

I figured out the error in my plan. Unless you just happen to record the mileage right when it tanks and then not drive it until you replace the cluster you would have no way of knowing your exact mileage when the cluster went out. DUH.

CoyB

Reaction score
Thank you, I just learned that 03 and beyond have to be programed to match vin. Since mine is a 2000, if I was to replace it with one from a 00-02 would it still need programing?

i dont think they program a 2k. they will take the milage off of your old custer and put a sticker in your door jam of the dealership that did the replacement. it will have the date old miles and new miles.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I thought that the '00-'02 guages were slightly different than the '03+ guages. Someone else might be able to confirm this.
To my knowledge, no you don't technically have to reprogram it, but it's going to raise some flags when you go to get an inspection and your Tahoe suddenly lost 70K miles. It's an easy thing to have it reprogramed by a dealership or any reputable tuner.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 03-up cluster will not work on an 02 and earlier Tahoe.

Yukon: When you say that your cluster went out, which part failed? Are ALL of your gauges dead?