Replacing the Intake Manifold Gasket - What a Nightmare!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FD611V

Reaction score
This is the information on how I did mind. It shows pictures with all the instruction this person did on his Tahoe 5.7 V-8. I marked my distributor in several places so I could install it the same location. Didn't need to have it scanned.

http://www.market-place.com/intake/intake.htm

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, old thread, but I just read it. WOW some people took off more than was needed, no wonder they had head aches. I left valve covers on and just loosened the AC bracket enough to clear the intake. Used blue tape to mark everything. 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc. About a 6 to 8 hour job taking some breaks in there. One trick I did was to use a ratchet strap tie down hooked to the luggage rack to hold the wiring harness out of the way. I did take hood off to let more shop light in, about 10 min work, but offset by being able to see better.

TahoeReno

Reaction score
Here in Michigan there is a MeL site (Michigan electronic Library ) which has all Chilton manuals database for use for free. This might be helpful to someone. Your able to print copies and such.

keek007

Reaction score
i found a local shop that is charging 400.00 labor and am having it done tomorrow cause i dont have the tools or a garage anymore. i got the gaskets today and am dropping mine off.i knew from reading the haynes manual i picked up it would be a chore without the proper tools and a place to work.

Timmy2times

Reaction score
Well when i did mine i didnt change the head gaskets because the wife said it didnt over heat but coolant disapeared when i pulled the intake i seen where it was leaking by so i changed the gasket it wouldnt start my timing was off wife was crying so i took it to a shop to set timing and to get it running. Came back missing on cylinders 1 and 8. And i found where shop unplugged oxygen sensors they really messed it up took it to another shop and they said the motor was knocking. So i think the wife over heated it and didnt know and the head gasket is no good. What is strang is guy said the it had compression one day and was going to fix it next day it needed all new motor. I hate shops never know what the truth is. So im pulling the whole motor im really debating throwing in a 383 thats for my nova into the tahoe my buddy did it on a 98 gmc and its a pretty quick truck at the least im going to run a cam in the new 350 i have for it. What i was saying is u should probably pull the heads and change the timing chain if your pulling the intake off especially if it has over 100k on the clock

Colorado Yeti

Reaction score
What a phenomenally stupid design. The engineer who designed it should be fired at minimum and perhaps given 40 to life. I'm getting ready to do this fun project on my 99 Tahoe this weekends. I'm already missing my old '56 Chevy with the 327.

Gmule

Reaction score
I will also be getting ready to perform this task in the next couple of weeks.
Will I need a scantool to set timing on it?