Road Trip in the Denali & New Toy!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a serious road trip a couple of months back and thought I should share. Decided to drive the wife, 2 boys, and our bulldog the 1500+ miles (one way) to our home in Anthem Arizona instead of flying, and picked up a new toy while down there. We drove the "Utah Route" from Seattle 23 hours NON-STOP and got about 16.5 mpg averaging about 10-15 mph over the speed limit. Once crossing in to AZ I was pretty anxious to get to our house and was going QUITE a bit faster then that. Got caught in a couple situations in Idaho & Utah where you ran upon a storm and snow on the road and I was very thankful to have the AWD! With my new toy in tow I decided to go home avoiding the hilly "Utah Route" and go the "California Route" back. I got about 11 mpg with 6K pounds in tow (not to mention ALL the cases of alcohol in back) and was quite impressed with the 6.2's power in tow. Had several minor "races" with cars thinking they could step on it and get ahead of me,,,, they were wrong! Overall I was thoroughly impressed. Oh, and by the way the Auto-Level feature on the Denali was sweeeet!

I know it's not a GM, but for $25K I couldn't pass up the low mile '06 Chrysler 300 SRT8 for my new commuter.

DenaliSRT8.jpg

Denali.jpg

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, we have a whole section for field reports just waiting to be populated :(
I looked at a Charger SRT8 a when they first came out, but the dealer said he couldn't possibly go below MSRP, I proceeded to ask him if he was joking, he said no, so I said fine, bye! Hope you enjoy it, 25k is a good price if it has low miles!

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew those houses looked familiar.....I live in Anthem as well!!!! Nice find...

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way the Auto-Level feature on the Denali was sweeeet!

Interesting - there's a little more rear-end droop than I was expecting with the trailer attached. I am planning to tow quite heavy (for a Denali) with the XL when I finally locate a nice used one (prices are DROPPPPPPING thanks to the gas prices!) and that leaves me slightly concerned.

Love the SRT8, btw. Cool car.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting - there's a little more rear-end droop than I was expecting with the trailer attached.

I took a side picture that didn't upload from my memory card, but it was actually pretty darn level.

I am planning to tow quite heavy (for a Denali) with the XL when I finally locate a nice used one (prices are DROPPPPPPING thanks to the gas prices!) and that leaves me slightly concerned.

I was actually offered $38K (paid $40K) on a trade from the dealership this weekend for a vehicle @ GM Supplier Pricing.

I knew those houses looked familiar.....I live in Anthem as well!!!!

Gotta love AZ!!! We have a home that we are renting on the 11th fairway of course #1 and our current home overlooks 12th hole (I think?) on course #2.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice toys. BTW, any idea why a number of people from Washington state and Oregon buy a large percentage of the property in Az?

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the 300's also. Last week I rented a car and it happen to be a 300 touring edition 3.5 V6, I think this is a sign I should buy one. the v6 is pretty peppy but not as much as the 5.7 and I only imagine what the 6.1 will do.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the truck running when you took the pics?

If it wasn't the reason it has some rear end drop is because the system is inactive.

if it is running than that is more drop, but they still both LOOK AWSOME. love the rims on the nali.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally I just went to go look at a CST lift kit this guy was selling (couldn't get it though cause it was for 2WD; he led me to believe it was for 4WD, then tried to convince me it was the same, which it is not) anyway he had a nice 300 too, made me think of this picture, and how Tahoes and 300s seem like a popular American combination these days. Wouldn't mind having one myself. Nice find man, looks like you're having good times.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice toys. BTW, any idea why a number of people from Washington state and Oregon buy a large percentage of the property in Az?

Because we get sick of the rain! I lived in AZ for 7 years, but after starting a family it wasn't exactly where I wanted to raise my kids, but an awesome place to visit. Plus my wife is a native and all her family still resides there.

Was the truck running when you took the pics?

Honestly, I can't remember it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it was. It was cool when I would stop and get gas to hear it let the air outm, caught me off gaurd the first couple of times.

The SRT8 is sick, but the traction control is a joke, especially in the rain! The Z06 with 80 more HP and being considerably lighter does a WAY better job of getting the power to the pavement. That's my only complaint,,,, oh and the fact that it's not a GM.

dray4life

Reaction score
Nice setup... I had a 2006 300c SRT-8 (sounds bad azz when you cut the suitcases aka resonators), traded it in for a 2007 Jeep Cherokee SRT-8 aka "King of the Street", traded that in for my 2007 GMC Yukon Denali.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offence to those who live in Arizona, I love the place, I would still be living there if I didn't have kids, but the crime and the way they protect their border is ridiculous! Every time we go back for a vacation we see the sun and wonder why we left, and then we turn on the news and realize exactly why we left.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I really wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, but my budget was $25K and they go for more. I've already put a Resonator Delete kit on and it really woke it up. Next step,,,, Predator!

08_Denali

Reaction score
Great choice in vehicles. I also have a 2008 Black Denali, and a 2006 Black Chrysler 300c. I love the SRT8’s, but at the time of purchase I couldn’t justify the additional $7K for horsepower I would never use.

Here is a few pics of my 300c, for those of you that appricate them.
Coincidentally, I am selling my 300C if anyone is interested, or knows anybody that is looking for one.

PassangerSide2.jpg

PassangerSide4.jpg