Second Row Bucket Seats Should be Removable – Don’t You Think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

czar97

Reaction score
Am I the only one that really wants the second row to be removable? I think it’s great that they tumble forward, but can’t think why they’re not removable to open up that whole back area for cargo.

What are everyone’s experiences? Is it plenty of room when just two people go on a trip or have any of you even removed them on your own? I can’t believe that it’s a safety issue, knowing that the third row must comply with safety standards and they are removable.

Wonder if 2008 model will change this. I’m sure the last thing GM wants to do make substantial changes to a new model that just came out. That costs too much money for a vehicle that just cost them a bunch to roll out less than a year ago.

Comments…

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think maybe you should have gotten a Suburban if you need that much room? I'm sure you could unbolt them if you really need to, but no, I've never needed that much room that I needed them to come out. Just my .02...

czar97

Reaction score
I think maybe you should have gotten a Suburban if you need that much room? I'm sure you could unbolt them if you really need to, but no, I've never needed that much room that I needed them to come out. Just my .02...
Replies like this crack me up. I’m an active member of a jeep wrangler forum (own a ’03 wrangler) and it’s always funny to watch the replies come in when someone asks if there is any way to improve gas mileage. The replies are always, “if gas mileage is a concern you should have gotten a Honda, or a hybrid”. WE ALL KNOW THAT A HONDA GETS BETTER GAS MILEAGE. The question wasn’t, “which car should I get… I can’t afford gas for my jeep”. The poor basta*d was simply asking for suggestions. The only way I can justify such a response is when someone doesn’t search the forum for the topic prior to asking a question that has been discussed over and over again.

In this case, I didn’t see too many topics where people discussed removing the second row bucket seats. It is just a question. No need to tell me that a Suburban has more cargo space than a Tahoe. I’ve gotten that far. I was simply surprised when the salesmen tumbled the seats forward an I couldn’t find a handle to release the seat from the bracket. That’s all.

With all of this said, I appreciate any and all help / comments.

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is suprising to me as well. My Pt Cruiser seats tumble forward like the Yukon/Tahoe and can be pulled out. Why wouldn't GM allow for that. There is always times we need more room, no matter what size vehicle you have. Easy removal of seats should be a no brainer for GM.

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez lighten up a little czar. I don't think that kpanza was jumping your rear there. Maybe simply stating the obvious. You do bring up a good point though about removable rear seats. The third row seating is removed easily enough why not the middle row? It is not removed very easily at all. While I've never needed more space (I have an XL) I have had to remove the seats to run some wiring. Not the most fun. I would imagine it gets even more tricky in newer models that have heated rears too. I doubt it will be a feature any time soon unfortunately.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh yeah, ease up there czar...no need to get your panties in a wad...I wasn't trying to jump on you, you asked for opinions, and I gave you mine. I'll stick to my point, though, and I'm sure GM COULD make them removable, but 90% of the people who buy them are using them as people movers or mommy wagons...not for 4x8 sheets of plywood or massive amounts of cargo...so GM goes with the majority. Now, having said that, yes, it would be a nice feature to be able to have the freedom to remove them easily, I agree. :thumbsup: But it all adds cost...and these things are expensive enough as it is!

I'd also love to have a flat floor when removing the 3rd row and tumbling the 2nd row for sleeping, but we all know how that turned out. I for one am not real interested in having the required independent rear suspension in order to have the 3rd row fold flat into the floor (like the Expedition), since I don't think IRS has any place on a truck that I will use for towing and any off road use. But, if you have a live axle like we do, well, there goes the fold in the floor option...there just isn't any room for it below.

czar97

Reaction score
:smilielol: Just pulled my panties out of that wad!! My wife and I are dying laughing, looking back at my rant from this afternoon. Things were a bit stressful at work today and I think kpanza took the brunt of it! Sorry 'bout that! :yesnod:

Couldn't agree more about the hump in the back floorboard...that suprised me too.

Posted the same question on another forum (www.chevroletforum.com) and got a few answers there too. Thanks everyone for the help.