Serpentine Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thekubiaks

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 5.3L engine (eighth letter Z). What is the trick to "unload"/ remove tension on the serpentine belt to replace it. It looks like an easy job if you know the trick. THANKS

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You should have a square recess on the front of the idler pulley. Use a 3/8" drive ratchet (maybe 1/2" drive) and turn it counterclockwise. This will pull the idler pulley over so you can remove and replace the belt.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
What about the "A/C Belt"??
Loosen the adjusting bolt on the alternator and you can move the alt enough to remove and reinstall that particular belt if it's not on the same idler pulley as the other belt on non-serpentine systems..

last-442

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Yukon with the 5.3 as well, I have been told that there were two different alternators on thesse, with different size pulleys, that affects the length of belt required. How can you tell which alternator is on the truck? Thanks

THOLL223

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Yukon with the 5.3 as well, I have been told that there were two different alternators on thesse, with different size pulleys, that affects the length of belt required. How can you tell which alternator is on the truck? Thanks

Mine had the size electropenciled on the case, was on the top. Little hard to read but mine had 145 A on it.

Other thing to do is look at the numbers on the old belt, that should match up fairly closely. I went with the Gatorback from Goodyear.

My a/c idler pulley had a spot to stick a 3/8 square end of the socket wrench in and turn to release tension. Was still a PIA to get on, was pretty tight and it is best accessed from the underside.