Severe oil leak I cant figure out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris15379

Reaction score
I had an extreme oil leak on on my 01 with the 5.3 vortec in it. its been leaking for a a couple months but just last sunday morning i came outside and there was a good 2 quarts of oil on the street. I figured it must be the oil pan gasket. Oil drips from the rear of the pan on both rear corners, i cant tell exactly where from cause its all oily but it drips from the oil pan bolt under the starter and the same one on the other side, also running down and dripping from the drain plug and oil filter.

I changed the oil pan gasket today, torqued all bolts as the manual says and started it up tonight and from about 10 min of running it leaked a good 6 inch long by 1 inch wide strip of oil on the ground. Ive heard that if its the main seal the flywheel would be covered in oil, when i pulled the oil pan the flywheel was completely dry.. any ideas anybody?

0352Marine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check your oil pressure sending unit and make sure it's not leaking there.

You also need to make sure the pan is lined up correctly This pan is very touchy and it is important to insure it's lined up.