Shoulder belt locks for no reason

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In our Tahoe, the front passenger's shoulder belt will lock for no reason. The passenger suddenly finds herself pinned to the seat. Can't lean forward at all. The only "fix" is to unbuckle the seat belt, let it reel back in, then put it on again. Then it's fine.... for a while.

This does not happen with the driver's shoulder belt.

Is this common? Anyone else ever deal with this? Any TSB's out on something like this?

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer, but I'm in the same boat! I'd love to find out what's going on there. It's really annoying, if you're riding in the passenger seat!!!

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that but only while Im turning, I beleive its a safety feature but not when the truck is stopped.

tenmark262

Reaction score
I'd read something about this somewhere before and If I'm right it works sort of like a one way pendulum triggered by G-force to move forward and lock and reset by unlatching the belt to move back.

Too much momentum from say slamming on the brakes or quick starts and stops, fast take offs, will lock it into place.

Might be the way you drive. Might be a loose seat belt mechanism.

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd read something about this somewhere before and If I'm right it works sort of like a one way pendulum triggered by G-force to move forward and lock and reset by unlatching the belt to move back.

Too much momentum from say slamming on the brakes or quick starts and stops, fast take offs, will lock it into place.

Might be the way you drive. Might be a loose seat belt mechanism.
You're right about the general way old-style locks work. The way mechanical seat belt locks work isn't a "one-way" pendulum, though. It's a pendulum that hangs straight down normally, then any force in any direction will make it swing to set the lock. This system can't work if the mechanism is inside a reclining seat back.

Many newer system don't have a pendulum at all. My daughter's Chrysler Sebring has electronic seat belt locks that are controlled by a g-force sensor under the dash. With our Tahoe's all-electric, reclining seats, with the shoulder strap in the seat instead of on the door pillar, I wouldn't be surprised that it's either electronic or something more elaborate than a simple pendulum.

Also, if it was from driving style, then the driver's belt should lock at the same time, too. It doesn't.

I'm gonna have to break down and buy the official Chevy shop manual, I guess.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I can't find it right now, but I'm almost positive I saw a TSB on the front shoulder harness belts locking up.

tenmark262

Reaction score
Could be anything, really. I'm no expert. Same thing happens to me in my buddies Z3. I get in and for no real reason I "really" get strapped in. And have to undo and refasten the belt to get any slack.

Here's some information that might be helpful: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/seatbelt.htm/printable

Last edited:

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my GM trucks from '84 to '02 have done this to me on the drivers side (don't know about the other as I am rarely a passenger in my trucks). When I notice it I just tuck in my shoulder and relax the belt until it's free again. Once in a great while I have to unbuckle the belt to get it unlocked.

Greb