"Soft" gas pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sotorin

Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust tension (I'm not sure what the proper terminology is here) on a gas pedal? This thing is so "soft" that I have to almost keep my whole leg up in the air in order for my foot not to floor it. I can't rest my foot on it as it was the case in my older Tahoe. This is really annoying and uncomfortable to drive even on short distances. Please advise if you can.

BTW - does anyone think that the new interrior is smaller than in the previous verion? I'm now driving the 2007 version (coming from the 2003 LS one) and in my older one I was sitting like on a throne and this one (LT trim) with captain chairs seems to me more cramped. I'm 6'6", 280lbs and I can tell the difference right away. Plus I also have poor man's cabriolet (i.e. sun roof), which trims head room by probably 1 or 2 additional inches.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's drive by wire, so I imagine there is not the same linkage of yesterday but it probably still has a return spring of some sort. Mine does not feel as soft as you are describing. But you should be able to replace a spring or even tighten the pivot points or maybe even the 'contact plate', not sure. Best thing to do is to try to get a look at all of the parts involved in the assembly, and go from there. Or tell the dealership the problem and see if they might adjudge it to be abnormal and fix it up. Don't know anything about the interior dimensions.

Sotorin

Reaction score
Dog,
Thanks for your assistance. I'll take it to a shop and have them take a look at this.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats funny is i came from an 06 and i definatly think its smaller, but the outside IS HUGE!!!. The inside got smaller and the outside got bigger. Now i can rest my foot on the peddle very nicly. but it usually finds its way to the floor eventually :)D) cause i like the pretty sounds it makes.

JSers1

Reaction score
I was telling my wife the same thing. My 99 felt way less cramped in the front. I almost feel like im pushed up too close to the steering wheel even with the seat pushed back all the way.

Sotorin

Reaction score
07 and up has very nice interrior (as compared to the previous versions). That's why I decided to go with the new trim vs. the old one. I agree with all of you - outside is huge inside is much smaller that before. How GM did that beats me but it's a fact.

The pedal keeps annoying me. Next week I'll have procharger installed and I'll ask them to take a look at the pedal as well.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:DSounds like we might have some extra "cargo space" built into the interior panels, for those times when having contraband in plain view simply won't do...

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its drive by wire, do not touch it!!! you will have to tow it to the dealer to get it reprogrammed!!! toyota's are the same way. there are no cables or springs. its all electrical. there is a sensor on the gas pedal that detects the throttle position

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, it's just a box with a pedal and some wires attached to it. I suppose it's sealed but maybe not, but you're right I probably shouldn't be leading anyone to mess with it, especially if it's under warranty. On the other hand, there has to be some kind of spring tension in there to return the pedal, and I believe I could do something with anything, but I'm just brave and gifted like that, LOL. But yes, he should just take it to the dealership, of course.

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run my own firestone store and we messed one up by cleaning the throttle body. I was a nighmare. The throttle body work by a magnet on the pedal. If you throw off the reading your up creek. If you do attempt anything disconnect the battery first. There us a reset/relearn procedure but I was not able to find it bc it's a new system for gm. Good luck though just trying to save a head ache.