Speaker sizes, Radio relocation harness, etc...02 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87gtNOS

Reaction score
Hey guys....just putting together a plan for my stereo....

My 02 Tahoe is loaded....strangely it doesn't have the Bose system I read about...
..but it does have a crappy sub in the rear left, a tape deck in the console, Delco CD/Receiver and speakers in all the doors.
Options for stereo stuff are listed as:
UK6 : RADIO CONTROL RR SEAT AND EARPHONE JACKS
UP0 : RADIO, AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, AUTO REV, MUSIC, SEARCH, CASS, CD, AUTO TONE, CLOCK AND ETR
UQ3 : SPEAKER SYSTEM, PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO

So anyways...I got myself an Alpine CDA9886 deck. Haven't picked up anything else...no rush.

My questions are what are the sizes of the speakers in the front and rear doors and what are my options for that sub?

ALSO...do I need to use a radio RELOCATION HARNESS and keep the factory radio hooked up, hidden somewhere in the rear?

Thanks for the input!

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Door 6.5" I put a 6.5 component set in mine. I have 2 sets of brand new in the box component sets. Infinity 6020CS same thing I put in my truck if your looking to buy. I only want $220 shipped for both sets. The sub is a 8 inch. There are some companies that sell a replacement housing that will hold a 10 or you can have someone build a box to fit over there. I didn't have a relocation harness, but I have one from my monte carlo if you really want one. I can find out it it will work.

2561316343_5a76d4ccac.jpg

2534323269_45692207f2.jpg

2561414237_e1b89b1413.jpg

Rear door same thing

2562230794_3532aeef77.jpg

Heres soem pics of the install I did:

2562179878_8b619b9c60.jpg

This is my box till I have one built to go where your stock sub is.

2563130965_09f0b603d2.jpg

2397496840_e8685dabec.jpg

87gtNOS

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks.
Can I ask, how do I access the speakers? Does the factory cover remove, or do I have to remove the whole door panel? There appears to be a need to make the rear door holes bigger to fit the 6.5's?
I also assume that is simply a piece of plywood under the rear seats, great idea.

Thanks again for the great pics!

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks.
Can I ask, how do I access the speakers? Does the factory cover remove, or do I have to remove the whole door panel? There appears to be a need to make the rear door holes bigger to fit the 6.5's?
I also assume that is simply a piece of plywood under the rear seats, great idea.

Thanks again for the great pics!

The whole door panel has to come off. I can get you instructions if you need em. It's real easy.

I didn't cut the wholes out bigger. Just screwed my bracket on the mounted the speaker. The housing is actually pretty big, the 6.5" just drop right in.

I used MDF but you could use plywood. If you do multiple amps I would just say lay it out and let ur seat down to make sure nothing it hitting, My seat belt is like right on the edge of my amp so it kinda prevents the seat from going down, so I may see if I can move mine a inch or so for the clearance.

KillerB

Reaction score
I've got a different setup, if you want to get away from the factory look and improve your imaging.

2661047738_5cd88426b8.jpg

2543424681_e503eb83d6.jpg

B

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look sweet, KillerB. :iq:

What are they?

Greb

My bad. I just found your earlier post on them.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little bit of thread digging, but I like it...haha!

I did components in my front doors and bought a set for my rear also. However, on my '02, the tweeters mount in the D pillar and not the rear doors. It doesn't sound bad to me, but I'm not exactly a sound quality expert either. I had to make mounts for the rear tweeters out of plastic since the stock tweeter and mount were integrated, but it was easy enough.

Does anyone know where to buy an incloser that houses a 10" sub that would fit in that stock location? I want to keep the stock look on the outside, but if I can fit something larger than that 8" sub, I might look to do it.