Squealing noise coming from rear tires ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thaslick1

Reaction score
I have recently purchased an 02 Tahoe a few months ago, so far I have had not one problem. Over the weekend a started hearing a rather loud and embarrassing squealing noise coming from my rear tires. Just wondering if my brakes just need replacing or if it could be something more?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :)

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be that you need to replace the rear brakes, does pushing the brakes in while driving quiet down the squealing, if so then you need new brakes. Also, it could be that your parking brake pads are hung up, either a frozen cable or maybe even broken PB pads. Take the back tires off and take a look at them!!!

thaslick1

Reaction score
Yea the sound stops when I apply the brake, But I'm about to take the tire off now and take a look, thanx alot for your input

FishNJ

Reaction score
before you take the wheel off, jack the back end up, grab the tire at the top and bottom, and see if it rocks in and out from the body.... if it wobbles, its the hub... check both sides...

thaslick1

Reaction score
I just found the problem, It looks like the squealer on the brake pad itself was rubbing the rotor, even though I have plenty of padding left. I just went ahead and bent the squealer back ..... problem fixed

Yay.... it cost no money, can't beat that. Thanx again for you guys input