Strange 4WD behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I may need an axle seal on the drivers side since the front transfer case is wet with fluid, but the other day while driving the misses to work, I put the truck in 4wd hi and started my 5 minute ride. When I took a tight right turn, it felt as if the 4wd disengaged and the truck wasnt in gear. Once parked with the engine running, I shut off the 4wd and the vehicle surged forward which scared the F**K out of me.

Any reason to think the Transfer case needs to be serviced or replaced? When I test drove the vehicle before buying it about 2 months ago, I did engage the 4wd and drove and everything checked out. I would like to get the fluids changed in the transfer cases for peace of mind but anything happen like this to anyone here?

clkelley

Reaction score
hmmm, not sure there Tony, when you take a look at the transfer case, see if there is fluid leaking from somewhere on the top of the front housing of the t-case. It is pretty common for the pump "shim" inside the case to rub a hole in the housing causing it to pump the fluid out which will cause the t-case to be ruined inside pretty quick if not fixed quickly. Not sure if this would cause your symptoms or not but it gives you a starting point for something to look for. As for the front diff seal leaking, that is pretty common too, but I doubt that that would cause it to surge forward while parked, (I am assuming you meant while in park)

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I havent yet been able to get under the truck to look, but im going to take it to a buddies shop on Monday after work for a bumper to bumper look through. Ill know more once I get it up on the lift and take a look around.