synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

screamin chicken

Reaction score
I have been using Mobile 1 for years, It's not the gas mileage I am worry about it's the fact that the Synthetic does not break down, I am going to switch it in my 07 Yukon when I get some miles on it, I have been using it in my 2000 Ws6 for a long time and I have no problems.....

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this question is asked over and over agian. There really is no magic silver bullet to increase MPG you will spend tons of money only to improve a cuople of MPG and it will take years for your investment to pay off.

But I agree I with SC. I only use synthetic in my cars (mobil 1). Royal Purple claims an increase in horse power and MPG I've never tried it in my Tahoe. But i dont believe their claims either.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with fco...synthetics will help with mpg but in very very little numbers. especially on a brand new motor. but on an older motor you might actually see some changes. ive always run mobil 1 in my trucks but on my new hoe i tryed out royal pruple and honestly i cant tell a difference between the two.

sweet03cobra

Reaction score
well my last Z71 I ran havoline for 176,000 miles before I sold it, so I don't know if I'm hung up on the whole conventional oil sucks thing.

akim47

Reaction score
i hear from friends in the industry (drift racing) that royal purple is all BS... i think regardless, if u take care of ur car, it will treat you right.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, the equation is quite simple:

Mobil 1 (fully synthetic) + Tahoe 5.3L V8 = BETTER PROTECTION.

Improved gas mileage, increased hp, etc...etc... are just added benefits that I really don't notice in my everyday driving, BUT...

It's just BETTER for your engine... PERIOD.

Also, you can go way longer between oil changes which is a major + in today's family modus vivendi...:thumbsup: Busy...busy...busy... You know how it is...

sweet03cobra

Reaction score
to be honest, I would think it would be safer to change conventional oil every 3k that run synthetic 6k. It would be different if these were racing vehicles or pulling 20k or something but that isn't happening.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mobile One Extended (fully synthetic) with tha Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer.

I use that combination on all my vehicles, the best oil with the best stabilizer aou there. 200,000 miles on my 2000 Kia sephia and never have a problem.

And you d get better gas mileage and a little more power(better throtle response).

My 2 cents though!

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple claims an increase in horse power and MPG I've never tried it in my Tahoe. But i dont believe their claims either.
Had a Race Motor Dynoed back to back with Conventional oil & RP. RP did show increase in HP. But it's negligible.

As far as Synthetic is concerned, yes its a good lubricant and wont break down as fast as conventional. But, if most of you are like me and dump the oil every 3-4K, the investment isnt worth it. Unless of course you're a complete Animal behind the wheel and constantly go off road, I dont see the advantage.....just my opinion.
I dont consider myself an authority, however I have dismantled and seen the internals of a well cared for engine not using synthetic oil and it was in excellent condition.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using Mobil 1 or Amsoil for 15 years, in various vehicles. I don't drive excessive miles, so I just change oil & filter, once a year. The synthetic doesn't break down as quickly and it keeps the internal parts of your engine cleaner.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you also run a dyno on mobil 1?

Never did a Mobil 1 , RP comparison. From what I have read, M1 has a greater wear factor in it than RP, but again this is all very negligible.
Bottom line.........what makes you feel comfortable with your truck is fine. Keeping it clean is the key....!

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never did a Mobil 1 , RP comparison. From what I have read, M1 has a greater wear factor in it than RP, but again this is all very negligible.
Bottom line.........what makes you feel comfortable with your truck is fine. Keeping it clean is the key....!

How about the Mobil One Extended? It is supossed to be good for 15000 miles. that is the one that I use along with Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer, but I din't let it go that far.
:thumbsup:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 because I change my own oil and don't consider it a real fun thing, so less often is better. :cool2:

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 because I change my own oil and don't consider it a real fun thing, so less often is better. :cool2:

I'm with you shark! I also change it my self and the less the merrier!! I chenge mine about every 10k with the extended and no problem with any of my vehicles.