Tahoe as a vehicle to hunt and go off road with

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickh1583

Reaction score
I'm getting my first car and love hunting and would like to go off road. I've been torn between a tahoe and a silverado. I like suvs more than pickups however i'm not sure if the tahoe would do as well off road. I'd love to hear about weather or not the tahoe is capable off road. I'd also love to here from hunters out there regarding their opinions and experiences going hunting in tahoe. Tell what you think!

jsimmo12

Reaction score
Just FYI, I have a 2005 tahoe Z71... thought it would work great for hunting & driving on muddy roads and since I have a family to transport around while not hunting it was a great compromise vehicle. Well to my surprise, Z71 does not automatically mean 4WD, it simply means that it's 2WD with a skid pack. so whatever you get, watch out for that.

If this is your first car I'm assuming you're young and will only be transporting yourself & friends (no kids yet). I'd suggest getting a silverado, it's much easier to transport deer or whatever in the bed of the truck than in the back of an SUV, trust me. I love my tahoe but i'd rather have a pickup for hunting. In the tahoe, I'm always limited as to how much I can pack up & take with me & the roads I drive on are not ideal for taking a trailer.

The Tahoe is much more a family vehicle in my opinion, with it's 3 rows of seating. I've got a wife & three kids to fit into it every other day of the year so it works when i'm not hunting but while i am it just seems to be a hindrance while all my buddies are doing just fine with their pickups.

Although, when we pack up to go somewhere as a group, we all pack into my tahoe, which is good and bad.

Good luck.

BrianAnderson70

Reaction score
I've owned a number of full-sized SUV's over the years, as well as a 2007 Silverado Extended Cab 4x4 Z71. While I LOVED the silverado, my experience off road has been that the full sized SUV's...in this case I had a 76 K5 Blazer, an 85 and then an 87 Dodge Ramcharger...were better suited to off road. They had a shorter wheel base, which made it less likely to get high-centered, and typically had smaller turning circles, which made them more maneuverable off road. Just my 2 cents...