Tahoe Hybrid Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe Hybrid Review!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2007-07-26-tahoe-hybrid_N.htm

General Motors plans to start selling gasoline-electric hybrid versions of its full-size Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs this fall, hoping their improved fuel economy will attract mileage-minded buyers back to the potentially profitable big SUV market.
The hybrids will come only well-equipped. But GM (GM) says they won't be the most expensive in the $35,000-to-$55,000 Tahoe/Yukon line.

A few hours in a preproduction Tahoe hybrid around Northern Virginia, in traffic and on highways, was satisfying.

Tahoe was smooth as you please in stop-go because the electric motor, which handles low-speed driving, provides all its power the instant it begins to turn. Gasoline engines have to rev a bit. GM says the electric-only mode could take you to 32 mph under ideal conditions. But the test showed that accelerating in traffic means electric-only lasts only up to about 10 mph.

The hybrid tows less, 6,000 to 6,200 pounds vs. 7,500 to 8,200 on gasoline models. No tow test was scheduled, but a stop at the Hobby Hangar in Chantilly, Va., a store that sells remote-control cars, planes and boats, provided an opportunity. The folks there, beyond all reason and good sense, offered the store's trailer. It was empty and probably weighed 1,000 pounds, according to the consensus, but it at least hinted how the hybrid would tug.

Very well, it turns out, with the trailer behind and five guys aboard the Tahoe.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great find, I wonder if customers have already put deposit on one of those. When these Hybrids hit the dealers, I wonder if sales will increase. 4% more on HP and 8% on TQ than current gasoline models., so Hybrids will have 330HP and 365TQ? I think that's pretty good.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I heard that the 08's Escaladas and Denali's will get the DOD "Displacment on Demand" engines like the current Tahoe but so far nothing yet. Could be a rumor....

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even as good as the recent GM vehicles have been, I'm waiting to see how well the Hybrids hold up. If this works as well it will be the saviour of the Big GM SUV. Imagine a Tahoe that can get 20 or 30 mpg. Wow.

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since about 70%-80% of my driving is on the freeway, there would be very little benifit to me on the hybrid. The advantage to me is it might give me some leverage when buying a new Yukon as the demand for the Hybrids might hurt sales a bit on the normal Yukon/Tahoes...

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since about 70%-80% of my driving is on the freeway, there would be very little benifit to me on the hybrid. The advantage to me is it might give me some leverage when buying a new Yukon as the demand for the Hybrids might hurt sales a bit on the normal Yukon/Tahoes...

Yeah I want to test drive these Hybrids first before making my decision on either gas or Hybrid. Of course its a no brainer (save gas) but i wonder if these Hybrids will be successful.