Tahoe prices: Actual vs. MSRP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and have been reading alot because I plan to get a Tahoe very soon. I'm wondering if I can get some feedback from you all about how these Chevy dealerships are in bargaining down from MSRP. Are they making deals or not? Is it gonna be any harder to get a deal if it's say, a Z71 4X4 with nice options? Is it gonna be harder if I have to order the truck as opposed to finding it on the lot? Can you bargain it down and then slap a rebate on it too, or do they try to make the rebate part of your discount? Also I noticed that there was a $3000 rebate that is just now expiring. Anyone know if they will renew it right away, or if it is gone for good?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Can't wait...

aaron72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always do the purchase through Costco. No dealer haggling, and the price is usually $500 to $1000 over invoice. Plus you can apply any rebates that are available.

PeanutGallery

Reaction score
rebates are applicable above and beyond any other money you negotiate from sticker - they should not be included as part of the dealer's discount. they're separate discounts - rebates come from the manufacturer to the dealer, so it's not like they're making less money on an MSRP deal vs. an MSRP-minus-rebate deal.

as to rebates - they vary month-to-month so there's no telling whether the current $3k will be renewed or not. given the current economy, i'd be surprised if overall rebate packages decrease much, but if they do, give 'em time - they'll have another sales push and bump 'em up again at some point sooner rather than later. if nothing else, late summer usually brings end-of-model-year closeout pricing that you could take advantage of if you're willing to wait.

also, there's more mark-up in a loaded model than one with very few options, so you should have more negotiating room accordingly. my suburban is a loaded LT3 Z71 and we got it for true invoice less all rebates ($2250 at the time - early november '07). in looking at invoices for different models, the difference between MSRP and invoice is much larger on, say, a loaded LTZ than on a base LT1. check edmunds.com for ballpark invoice pricing - in my case they were about $700 low, but at least it gives you a starting point.

if you get on chevy's website you should be able to check inventory on multiple area dealers fairly easily - that's what i did to find mine. had to dealer-transfer it from georgia because it was the only one in this color in the southeast with all the options i wanted at that time, but custom-ordering is certainly another viable option. theoretically you should be able to get just as good a deal on a custom order as an in-stock unit, if not better, since the dealer knows the truck won't sit on their lot eating up floorplan money or inventory space - as soon as it comes in you buy it, thus maximizing their profit buy not having it sit around waiting on a walk-up buyer. on the other hand, the dealer would certainly rather unload one of their current units than sell you one that won't come in for a few weeks - so that may create more incentive to give a better deal on an in-stock unit if you can find what you're looking for.

at the end of the day, though, if you're not finding a dealer willing to come close to invoice then try another one. gas prices are only going up, so the full-size SUV market appears to be a buyer's market - i believe there are a lot more units on the ground than there are buyers right now, so good deals should be out there in abundance.

Guardian

Reaction score
Checkout the below web site. Up in the top right there's a pull-down menu that you can select "Supplier Pricing". Either build your vehicle or find one from the dealers and see what they are showing. You'll notice they also deduct any current rebates/cash-back from the Supplier Discount Price. You should try to negotiate to this price if you can.

Better yet, if you can find a GM employee that will get you a Supplier Authorization, you can get that price without any haggling.

https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/ip-gmemployee/

Good Luck!

hbryan527

Reaction score
Utilize the "internet department" at any dealership. I got an LT2 $500 below invoice with a few emails!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the good information. These are all new ideas that I haven't heard of before. I will check these out and post my experience later. Thanks!

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had no problems in purchasing at invoice minus rebates (on the last three vehicles purchased). All I did was start out the conversation by asking if they would sell at this price on an ordered truck. One dealership, contacted by e-mail, said "No, we think it is good practice to make a fair profit." I responded that on an ordered truck my opinion is that the hold-back is a fair profit but I would respect their answer and do business elsewhere. I received a response that they would sell at invoice minus any rebates but I stayed true to my response and took my business elsewhere.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm gonna try that since i will probably have to order it the way I want it. Anyone know what to expect on rebates this month? the 3k from last month is gone now! Thanks....

elbeto

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and have been reading alot because I plan to get a Tahoe very soon. I'm wondering if I can get some feedback from you all about how these Chevy dealerships are in bargaining down from MSRP. Are they making deals or not? Is it gonna be any harder to get a deal if it's say, a Z71 4X4 with nice options? Is it gonna be harder if I have to order the truck as opposed to finding it on the lot? Can you bargain it down and then slap a rebate on it too, or do they try to make the rebate part of your discount? Also I noticed that there was a $3000 rebate that is just now expiring. Anyone know if they will renew it right away, or if it is gone for good?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Can't wait...

Use the spread sheet over at
www.carbuyingtips.com

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good site, thanks. I'm reading the whole thing!:thumbsup:

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Internet pricing is about the same as the costco price. At least it was in my experience.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are still paying way to much. That why i call them stealerships, check out www.carbuyingtips.com and that will give you some insight as to how they work.

I did my homework and even pitted dealers against each other. The best price I got was close to the costco and internet pricing plus a $3000 rebate.
It does depend on the package you want. I wanted a Z71, LT3 that was nearly loaded. There aren't that many of them around.
If you want an LT1 or LT3 2wd then you have a ton of room for negotiating.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let it consume you, as it did for me twice.

What was that? Sorry, I was just reading... damn, has it been 5 hours already? Okay let me try not to get re-consumed. That's a really good page though

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does depend on the package you want. I wanted a Z71, LT3 that was nearly loaded. There aren't that many of them around.
If you want an LT1 or LT3 2wd then you have a ton of room for negotiating.

That's what i'm afraid of, since that's pretty much what i'm looking for too. Well, I'll just get ready to have to play it that way.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends where you live too.
Where I am 4wd Tahoes are rare. I've noticed that in Texas they are common.
Most dealers here only have 1 Z71, Z71 with the LT3 package was like 1 out of every 3 dealers. On the plus side, you can order one with the exact options you want for the same price, at least out here I could.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i'll probably order it since i'm real picky about what I want. See how it goes...