Tahoe vs Rest of the World

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mracer71

Reaction score
How would you compare Tahoe to other SUVs out there? Any expiriences? For Example, Tahoe vs. Land Rover Discovery - longevity, quality, ability.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i geuss the first thing that comes to mind is how long they last compared to other SUV's. ive been in many others, and its just simply more comfortable IMO than any other. id seriously take it over "higher end" SUV's. just my 2 cents.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Land Rover would be one of the last SUVs I'd get. Everyone I have ever worked on, sat in, touched, looked at, whatever, has had problems. Even Consumer Reports reviews basically says it in nicer terms that it's a piece of **** all the way around. The one thing I do like about the new ones are the looks, but that's it.
If I had to have a mid to full-size SUV other than a GM, I'd probably go with the BMX X5 with the 4.8L. Good quality, comfortable, and the number of standard features. And the 4.8 puts out about 350hp/350tq.

Last edited:

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Tahoe because I wanted an SUV and I'm a GM guy. I was thinking about a blazer/jimmy until I heard they get about the same mileage as a full size. (and I knew deep down I really wanted fullsize anyway, I just needed to rationalize it somehow to myself!)

Couple different places tried to talk me into a trailblazer or envoy I didn't even consider that because of the overhead cam (I hate that crap) and a friend told me later about even more weirdness down below, something about halfshaft or a driveshaft going through the oilpan or some nonsense.

Everyone I know who has SUVs has foreign, Fords or Cherokees. I'm the lone GM guy. I've never bought foreign and won't buy foreign except maybe toyota but they're too expensive. Not a ford guy, but something about the expeditions, I mean, I realize 90% of SUVs are never used for anything more than going to work, the mall or kids stuff and that's waht mine will be used for 99% of the time, but the expeditions just look like they don't have any inclination to do any more than that.

I'm not even going to comment on the sideways engined fwd standard unibody "crossover" crap. Stupid minivans with a marketing scheme applied and regular doors in the back. And they're not even real minivans like an astro pretending to be an SUV, just tall cars.
both my parents and about a dozen cousins aunts and uncles have these and all refer to them as "trucks"

Last edited:

tahoeman960208

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say one of the better non-gms that I've been in is the 4-runner. one of my buddies used to have one and it was a comfortable car, good looking, solid power, but i beleive it had independant rear end instead of straight axle. have fun pulling a 7000 pound double axle trailer out of the water with that. The mercedes GL is pretty good, but they havnt been around long enough for us to know how they wear. if they are the same as any other mercedes, they'll last for a long time. Bottom line, for the money and the ease, i don't think anything can beat a tahoe. The new ones offer many of the same options as any of the luxury suvs while still maintaining the capability and durability of a full size truck.

hutchem

Reaction score
I am on my second tahoe, I had a 97 4-door 4wd, then now I have a 99 4-door 4wd. Before that I had an 88 gmc 1500, basically the same drive train and engine. I can say that for the most part I have been very pleased with the product. I had 236k on the 88 gmc with only a new tranny, the motor was strong the day I sold it. The 97 hoe had 136k when I gave it to my mom as a work truck and still strong as an ox, and the 99 has 108k and still going strong. All three had the normal maintainence with their milage, i.e. water pumps, u-joints, brakes (wheel cylinders, etc.). The only bad thing I have to say with the tahoes is the intake manifold gasket leaking, on both of the tahoes, both at about 100k. I think this is a product of the dexacool that they used eating away at the gaskets, other than that, I think they are great vehicles. From what I have read, they are much more reliable than the expeditions. I second tahoeman's comment on the 4runner, I have heard nothing but good things about them, just a bit small for what I want.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I had a 1994 GMC Jimmy and that thing rocked. Not saying I would take it over my Tahoe, but those mid-size GM SUV's from around that era would not die. That truck I had went through hell before I got it: the boddy barely passed inspection, the ABS was faulty, the transmission only worked like 2 gears (I think 3rd and overdrive?), but that thing would not quit. 4-wheel drive worked great and that thing just did whatever I wanted it to. Did some heavy off-roading with it before I finally got rid of it, and it didn't even bat an eye at it. I think it had 192,000 miles when I got rid of it? Not positive.

I will third the 4runner. My girlfriend's family had a 2000 Toyota 4runner, and they had until 2007 and it was great the entire time. Her father had no complaints about it at all. He put tons of miles on and hauled people, junk, boats, trailers, you name it. It was a little cramped inside, but that is the only downside I can think of.

My friend's parents have a 1998 Dodge Durango, and they bought it new back in 1998. they still have it to this day and it runs just awesome with well over 200,000 miles. It has never had any major problems as far back as I can remember... and my friend's family are well-to-do, rich yuppie-types so they probably would have gotten rid of the thing long ago if it had a lot of problems. It is also a weird kinda vehicle... because it's a mid-size SUV (at least, the 1998 - 2003 models were), but you could get it with a V8 (magnum 5.2 or 5.9) and it had good power, but the real kicker is how comfortable and roomy it is inside for a mid-size. It's like inbetween a mid-size and full-size.

As for the Tahoe? I love this truck. It's powerful, adaptable, and does whatever you ask and asks for seconds after. They do have some flaws though, sadly. These trucks have an Achiles heel in the tranny department. A friend of my brother's has a 1996 Yukon Z71 two door and he is on his 3rd transmission. I mean, to be fair he does beat on it... but that is what you should expect from a full size SUV off-road package with a V8 built on a full-size pickup truck frame: a drivetrain that takes a beating. These trucks also have rear main seal problems. But that aside, I would never in a million years second guess my truck or go back on it. I wanted one for over a year, and then finally bought one of my own and that was back in Summer of 2007. I still am excited to drive it and am grateful I have it and very satisfied with it's ride quality, capablity, and looks.

I plan on being the last owner of this vehicle.

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had only a few wear and tear problems in the past 7 1/2 years I’ve owned my 99’ 2 door. I’ve been seriously considering buying a new vehicle for awhile now and looked at many SUV’s. When I look at a vehicle I want it to have a nice interior with room for me to move around, some SUV’s are just too tight inside. The exterior should be cool :cool2: looking and modern at the same time. In a full size SUV the Tahoe is the best one to me, and when compared to the competition it is the better buy. If I was to go to a midsize SUV it would probably be the Infinity FX. I’ll never buy a Ford and the Dodge it just ugly . I do try and go the GM way but I do consider all other brands (except ford :) ). Everyone has different likes and dislikes, so the best thing to do is what you’re doing now. Ask around and test out all of them. Good Luck!

Mracer71

Reaction score
It's good to read all the answers. Keep 'em coming! I must say that I am already an owner of a 1996 Tahoe 4 door 4wdr. I got it for 4750.00 with 86k on the clock in the spring of 2008. It's been a good friend so far. I did do the intake gasket change and ready to throw in a new AC compressor and a set of Bilstein shocks. I am towing an 8x5 trailer with my sidecar bike all over the east coast with some camping stuff in the back and this is partly why i needed a truck. Plus my familly just grew plus one (3 of us now) so more room is much appreciated then in my 1991 BMW 325 ix(awd). I wanted a truck for a long time. I am a car/bike/plane/tank/gun... especially older and antique or pretty much anything mechanical, guy. Yet i am not a mechanic - just like to get my hands dirty and learn stuff and i admire a good form and style. I like the Tahoe. It is a no nonsence, straightforward workhorse. I am still learning about it so you may see my posts with some newbie questions that may have been asked before or otherwise known to any truck guy. Longevity is my main concern. I would like to see this truck living a long healhy life as i will rely on it for long hauls. Won't see much of true off roading but will occasionaly get off the paved roads.

Mracer71

Reaction score
Here it is on 1/01/09 in the Pocono Mountains in PA

Attachments

• NY3.jpg
    NY3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you take this picture at in the Pocono’s? I was just wondering because I live easily under an hour from parts of the Pocono’s.

Mracer71

Reaction score
JLCVT, i was near Albrightsville, Towamensing Trails community. I rent homes there few times a year. I wish i was smart enough and bought a property there 10-15 years ago when it was much much cheaper. Rental properties are pretty high now days. But i love the mountains. Central PA is nice too. I find PA to be very beautiful. Glad i live here.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this is the third tahoe we have had in the family. Which is mine, my 96 two door with 180k.

But before that my dad had a 2000 chevy tahoe. Believe it or not we just recently got a email from the new owner of it saying he just hit 350,000 miles on it. And still running strong.

And before that we had a 95 tahoe 4 door, we sold that with 230,000 miles on it... Still running strong.

Tahoes may not be the best buy, but if your looking for dependabilitly and comfort, i would turn to a tahoe in a heartbeat.