Tahoe won't start - tries though

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrcribbs

Reaction score
On Wednesday my wife went to the store and when she started her Tahoe it started then stalled. It refired fine. So she goes shopping most of the day with about 5 - 6 stops and it ran and started fine all day.

On Thursday we went to leave and it won't start. When you crank it over it acts like it's going to start but won't.

So I checked the following:

Coil - good per Haynes manual tests.
Crank sensor - 2.5 AC Volts at Ignition module when cranking
Cam sensor - changed this since I couldn't get my voltmeter in the connector.
Spark - took #3 wire off of installed plug and put a old plug in the wire and layed it against the exh. manifold. Spark on cranking (orange colored spark)
Fuel pressure - 62 PSI after turning key on. About 58 after key off for a few minutes.

Fuel + spark = no run???

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

2000 Tahoe Z71 w/ 5.7 (old body style)

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guess would be maybe the fuel pump i had mine go out a while ago. It would start fine sometimes but others it would not want to start it would just turn over. After i sat there for a minute with it turning over it would start. Carry a rubber mallet around with you when you drive it and if it does it again try to hit it with the mallet sometimes it just needs that to start again. but it will not work all the time.

mrcribbs

Reaction score
At first I thought fuel pump but it sounds good and makes good pressure too so I don't think that's it this time.

mrcribbs

Reaction score
Found TSB 00-06-04-014 on the internet and it describes exactly what my Tahoe is doing.

Replacing the crank sensor after work...

mrcribbs

Reaction score
It was the distributor cap and / or rotor...

Around 8,000 miles on a LLT Warranty Autozone one and it's dead. Put the stock one on that has about 110,000 miles on it and it fired right up.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only cap and rotor to use on these vortec engines is factory stuff. It's more money but is lasts quite a bit longer than that autozone crap... as you've found out.